Chickpeas, Quinoa, Tofu and Eggplant… usually we see these contents in a healthy bowl of Salad, right? Well my family is not too crazy about a salad but they would love a tempting burger or a bowl of pasta instead. So, what do i do to make them eat healthy? I take all the salad ingredients and stack them together to form a burger.. Voila ! and they happily chomp on their nutrition 🙂 Task achieved !!
Happy Monday guys ! Ever since i am back from India, there has been a drive in me to eat healthier and make good use of fresh , local ingredients to prepare meals which are not only satisfying but promise a healthy lifestyle. Since Mondays are the best days to start something new and motivate yourself to keep it going throughout the week, i decided to make a salad for lunch. The idea sounded perfect and i quickly cooked some quinoa for it. Lately i have been loving quinoa a lot and have been going gaga over it. I have tried many salads with it (try my Quinoa Bean Salad. It is a powerhouse of nutrition!! ) and that is exactly what was on my mind. Then my husband comes along and gives a grumpy look to me. I knew that a salad would not do the trick today. With boiled chickpeas and cooked quinoa at hand, i was stuck what to make. Then i thought..oh my husband would love a chunky burger for lunch !! So the idea of making a chickpea Quinoa patty came to me and i was so thrilled to make it !
Chickpea Quinoa Patty Burgers with Tofu & Eggplant Steaks
This burger has the following components
- Chickpea Quinoa Patty
- Tofu Steaks
- Eggplant Steaks
- Yogurt dip with Honey and Sriracha
- Onion and Tomato Slices
Chickpea Quinoa Patty
- 2 cups chickpeas, soaked and boiled
- 0.5 cup uncooked Quinoa or 1 cup cooked (follow instructions as provided on the package)
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup bell peppers (i used red but feel free to use any), finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Oil to roast the patties
Tofu & Eggplant Steaks
- 100 gms tofu, cut into slabs
- 1 Eggplant, cut into slabs
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil for roasting
- Let us begin with making the Quinoa chickpea patties. Take a bowl, add in the boiled chickpea and mash it with a masher. Now add in all the other ingredients and mix well. The mixture should be sticky enough to make into patties.
- Refrigerate this mixture for about 10 minutes. This will help the bread crumbs to soak up the extra moisture from the mixture. Form the mixture into patties.
- Pour the oil in a skillet and heat it. Place the patties and roast them well on both sides till crunchy. Remove and keep aside. The patties are ready.
- Now, let us prepare the Tofu and Eggplant steaks. Press the tofu slabs with the kitchen towel to squeeze out extra water.
- Arrange Tofu and Eggplant slabs on a plate and sprinkle some salt on them. Let them rest for about 10 minutes.
- Now, heat a skillet and pour some oil. Place the tofu slabs on the skillet and fry on both sides till crispy. Remove and keep aside.
- Once the tofu is done, repeat the process with Eggplant slabs and roast well till the eggplant is tender inside but well roasted on the top. Keep aside.
- Let us now arrange the burger. Take a burger bun. Put a layer of yogurt dip on both sides of the bun. Arrange the layers in the following sequence : Patty, eggplant steak, tofu steak, onion and tomato slices, salt and pepper. The burger is ready to be gorged upon ! have fun
The burger was such a great transformation of those humble ingredients. It not only satisfied the desire for enjoying a burger, i got to make my family eat the healthy stuff in a fun way ! These patties are versatile. Make a smaller bite and they can substitute the falafels in your pita sandwich and can be baked into poppers too ! The Eggplant and Tofu steaks provided the meatiness in this meatless dish and made the burgers juicy and more satisfying. You can also try different sauces with this burgers. I have tried chipotle mayo, guacamole and honey sriracha so far and they all work perfectly. For an Asian spin, try marinate the tofu and eggplant in tamari soy sauce and then roast them !
Enjoy your Meatless Monday meals !!
Looking for more ideas? Check out my proud Meatless Monday Wall here or go about checking any recipe on my blog, they all are Meatfree !!