It was my husband’s birthday a few weeks back and i really wanted to bake a cake for him. When i asked him for a choice, all he said was “i would like something with a creamy topping”.
As a designer, i know how random that brief is. I did look up some of my usual/old cake recipes but most of them were very predictable and i wanted a real good reason to keep my husband from buying a cake from some dessert place.
Incidentally, a day later i went to a nearby store and there, beautifully placed in one of the fruit sections, were some very inviting, bright & shiny, glorious apples. It had such a magical spell on me that next moment i saw myself picking up half a dozen with no idea of how i would utilize those. Usually bright & fresh fruits catch my attention and then i end up buying.
Not able to really find an unusual recipe, i planned for a chocolate brownie with a ganache. I reached out in the refrigerator to fetch the ingredients and there, right besides the butter tray, were the apples i had fallen for in the store. I had found my inspiration!
This recipe is a fruity delight with a tinge of ginger to scintillate the senses. This cake is a complete package for fruity-spicy indulgence !! Try it once and you would always want to make this cake again 🙂
Apple Ginger Delight with Lemon Creme Glazing (eggless)
Apple ginger delight with lemon creme glazing
preparation time : 40 minutes
Baking Time : 1 hr
For the Cake
- 4 apples – skin removed and chopped
- 2 cups of All purpose flour / maida
- 2 inch ginger- peeled & grated
- Spices – a few pieces each of Cinnamon stick & star anise (optional)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup of water
- 200 gms butter
- 1 tsp soda – bi carb
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
For the Lemon Creme Glazing
For this cake, i did a really thin glazing as i was looking forward to pour it over the cake for a syrupy, saucy consistency. You can adjust the consistency using more/lesser quantity of lemon juice.
- 100 gms Creme Cheese, softened . Can be substituted with thick/ fresh creme
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 200 gms confectioner’s /icing sugar
- 1 tsp lemon zest (optional)
- In a Flat pan, take 50 gms of butter and melt. To this, add the milk, water and sugar. Stir till the sugar dissolves.
- Now put in the chopped apples, the spices (cinnamon stick and star anise)and ginger. Stir for about 2 minutes. Cover the pan and let this cook for about 20 minutes or till the apples become tender. The apples will turn translucent when tender.
- Remove from flame and let it cool. Now add the vanilla flavor. Remove the cinnamon sticks and star anise from the apple saucy mixture.
- Set your oven at 375 degrees F and preheat. Take a 10″ dia cake tin and line with butter paper/ wax paper to avoid the cake sticking to the tin while baking. If you don’t have butter paper, you can straight away grease the tin and sprinkle some flour on it to create an even flour surface on the tin.
- Take a bowl. Sieve through all your dry ingredients and put it in the bowl. Mix well.
- Now add the apple mixture to this bowl. Fold in gently in one direction. Do not whisk the mixture or else the cake will not come out fluffy post baking.
- Check for the consistency of the Cake batter. It should be of “Dropping consistency”. You may add a little more water if required.
- Pour the batter in the Cake tin and put to bake in the oven. The cake should take approximately 45 minutes.
- You must check the status of the cake every 20 minutes to ensure that the cake is baking evenly from all sides. Check with a tester (fork/pin) if the cake is baked. To check, insert the tester in the center of the cake. The cake is baked when the tester comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let it cool on a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, take a small bowl. Beat cream cheese, butter, lemon juice, lemon rind, and vanilla together until smooth and fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar in 2 additions. Beat until creamy. Add more icing sugar or juice as needed for desired consistency.
- Place the cake on a cake platter. Top it up with a generous helping of Lemon creme glazing and decorate. Serve.
Green tea goes perfectly with this cake making it a possible highlight for your next tea party 🙂 Enjoy !!