I have a big appetite when it comes to kebabs. They are packed with sensational flavors and are a delight !This recipe satisfies my temptation of munching on hot kebabs on a rainy Monday Morning. For this meatless Monday, i am bringing some meaty but vegetarian flavors with my Vegetarian Kala Chana Shammi Kebabs
Kebabs is usually used as a term to describe meat/ non veg patties put on roasted on open flame (as in case of BBQ) or fried. We do have few varieties of vegetarian kebabs in India and i have always loved them. Having raised in Delhi, kebabs have always been a part of my traditional platter. My mom always made vegetarian versions of the popular (and often non-vegetarian) kebabs and i have loved them since.
Here i have made a vegetarian version of Shammi kebabs ( specialty of central India) using Kala chana. Have them with the Mint-Coriander chutney (recipe here) , Tamarind Chutney (recipe here) or lemon/vinegar marinated onions and you will love them !
Vegan/Vegetarian Kala Chana Shammi Kebabs
Vegetarian Shammi Kebabs
- 2 cups black chick peas (Kala chana) – soaked overnight and boiled for about 40 minutes or till cooked and tender
- 1 potato – boiled
- onion – 1 large ,finely chopped
- grated carrots- 1/2 cup
- 2 medium green chilies – finely chopped
- grated ginger- 1.5 tsp
- chopped coriander- 2 tsp
- fresh chopped mint – 2 tsp
- salt to taste
- pinch of asafoetida
- garam masala- 1 tsp
- dry coriander powder- 1 tsp
- dry mango powder/ amchur- 2 tsp
- chick pea flour- 1/4 cup
- Oil for deep frying (you can skip frying and bake it too !! Find the method below)
- In a deep dish, take the black chick peas. With the help of a masher, mash the black chick peas coarsely. Depending on your preference, you may leave a handful of black chick peas whole for an added texture.
- To this, potato (either cut into small pieces or mashed, as per choice) and all the other ingredients except oil. You can add 1+1/2 tsp of oil to this mixture for a crispier texture.
- Adjust the amount of chick pea flour in the mixture to be able to form kebab shape. Try avoid putting extra chick pea flour as that will make the kebabs taste dry.
- In a deep frying pan, pour enough oil and bring to heat. Put a couple of kebabs at a time in the frying pan and fry till golden brown on both sides.
For a healthier version :
Repeat the first 3 steps as above.
Baking – Now, place the kebabs 1 inch apart on pre-greased baking sheets. With the help of a brush, smear little oil (you can also use cooking spray) on the top of the kebabs and bake the kebabs in the oven at 375 C for about 30-40 minutes turning half way.
Pan frying – Take a griddle, put about 1 tsp oil and let it heat. Now put 2-3 kebabs at a time and pan fry on both sides till golden brown.
These kebabs are sinfully delicious and so full of nutrition a.k.a healthy (all the more if baked) that these are simply irresistible. Add boiled peas and grated carrots if you want more vegetables in your kebabs (though i prefer them without extra vegetables).
Doesn’t that just look fabulous !!
These kebabs are delicious to core and they are just the way a kebab should be soft and flavorful inside with a crispy outer edge. Try this recipe for yourself and discover the magic in these kebabs. Now, you don’t have to miss out on kebabs !
Try these other crunchy munchies too :