I have been thinking of ways to accommodate more lentils in our diet and it has been fun experimenting with different lentils. For today, i have a dish which is easily one of the most loved “street food” dishes in India- Tikkis ! Tikkis can be called as the “Indian Hash browns” and they are usually crispy, fried and totally delicious ! This time, i am making it the non fried way with a very healthy and super food ingredient, Mung Sprouts 🙂
It was about 4 months back that i got to know about Pulse.org, an organization which is raising awareness and celebrating the role of beans, lentils and other pulses in promoting health, nutrition and sustainability. When i got to know about Pulse.org, i signed up for their Pulse Pledge, i.e 10 weeks of eating more lentils per week and i am now hooked to the idea !
Today, i am taking one such ingredient which has been a staple in my house for as long as i can recall – Mung sprouts ! Just 1/4 cup of mung bean flour packs a powerful 13 g of protein, 9g of fiber, 30 g of carbs, 180 calories, 3 g of sugar, and zero fat. Not only this, it is high in iron, folate, copper, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus and potassium. Making sprouts out of them increases their goodness many folds. Each 1-cup serving of mung bean sprouts provides 13.7 milligrams of vitamin C and 34.3 micrograms of vitamin K. Isn’t that amazing !!
Mung sprouts sometimes gain a bad reputation of being bland and boring but there are just so many ways of incorporating them into meals : In soups, Pad thai, salads and now even Tikkis ! You got to try this recipe out 🙂
Lentils Spouts Tikki
Lentil sprouts tikki
- 2 cups mung lentil sprouted
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon mung bean flour
- 1-2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves, finely chopped
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp dry mango powder
- 2 tsp oil for tikkis and pan frying
- 1/2 cup Tofu/Paneer, crumbled
- Salt to taste
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- Begin with preparing the stuffing for the tikkis. For this, we will take 1 tsp of oil and heat it. Add in cumin seeds to it and let it splutter.
- Now add in the grated ginger to it and roast it a little. Add in the crumbled paneer or tofu and mix well. Add salt as required. The stuffing is ready. Let the stuffing cool down and then divide the stuffing into 8 balls.
- Now, We will form the base of the sprouts tikkis. For this, coarsely grind the sprouts using very little water. Remove the grounded sprouts paste in a bowl. To this, add in chopped onion, chilies, coriander and spices and mix well. This mixture will be thin at the moment and would not form the tikkis.
- To this mixture, slowly add in the mung bean flour and mix well till the mixture is able to come together in the form of a ball.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions. Take one portion at form into a ball. Now, flatten this ball a bit by putting a dent into the tikki with your thumb.
- Place a stuffing ball inside it and gently cover it with the sprouts mixture to form the tikki with the stuffing inside the tikki. Repeat this with all the formations and form the tikkis.
- Refrigerate all the tikkis for about 15-20 minutes in the freezer. This step helps in firming up the tikkis well so that they stay together when pan frying.
- Take a skillet/non stick tawa and to it, add 1 tsp oil. Now, place the tikkis and pan fry them till crispy and golden brown on both sides. Nutritious and healthy Lentil sprout tikkis are ready.
Garnishing : Serve with seasoned yogurt/ greek yogurt and coriander chutney (optional)
These tikkis are every bit ” delicious meet nutritious”.
This dish transforms the mung beans into something so scrumptious !! I served these with a side of my signature chutneys (mint-coriander chutney and Tamarind Chutney) and they were such a hit with everyone. You can enjoy them as is or take this game to the next level by using them as patties for a Mung bean burger (wow.. that sounds yum !!)
Looking for more ideas for Mung sprouts ?? Check these recipes as well and pick your favorite !!