This post is going to be all about the Indian chai and the rituals we have associated with it. In India, it is often a practice to invite new acquaintances over for tea to initiate friendship and Indians take their chai pretty seriously. Today, we are using chai by brand Bhakti to make some India-inspired snacks which you can enjoy and there is an exciting GIVEAWAY which you don’t want to miss!
Chai is quintessential to the Indian household morning routine. Each household has its own concoction (usually a heirloom recipe) and the method to make tea also varies across different parts of India 🙂 Well, when we talk of evening teas (or chai time- as locals like to call it), you should also assume that it is not going to be just about tea. Indians love snacking along with their teas and we have thousands of variations for snacks- sweet and savory, baked and fried. One thing that remains constant though, is the humble tea!
I think one of the reasons I love chai is the spices and aromatics that go in its making . The cardamom, ginger, cinnamon etc. steep in the water and infuse it with sweet-spicy notes. I like to add a little tea masala (made with powdered aromatics like cloves, cinnamon, cardamom etc.) to my cookies and cakes sometimes to infuse it with chai flavors and everyone loves the addition. Recently I made a breakfast chai spiced family style cinnamon roll which everyone loves to core. When I got my hands on Bhakti Chai, I knew without a doubt that I would be developing something fun with it. You can read all about Bhakti in my latest review 🙂
As I sat in my patio, sipping on my pipping hot Bhakti chai the other day, the flavors took me back to good times in India and I started to think of my favorite tea snack – Jalebis . That really made me yearn for some hot jalebis (have not had one in many years now) and then another thought came to my mind – Why not re-create those memories with Bhakti?
This recipe is my fusion take on the Indian Jalebis. Jalebis are traditionally fried fritters which are soaked in hot sugary and aromatic syrup. Today, I am making some churros which resembles Jalebis in looks but instead of soaking them, I am dipping them in white chocolate… because who can say no to chocolate, right? 😛
Chocolate dipped spiced Chai Churros
Chocolate dipped spiced chai churros
- 1 cup Bhakti chai concentrate (we used unsweetened but you can use any)
- 2 tablespoon Sugar (adjust according to taste. If you are using a sweetened chai concentrate, you can skip sugar)
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- pinch of cinnamon powder
- 1 cup flour
- Oil for frying
- 1/2 cup white chocolate
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- In a pan, heat the bhakti chai, sugar, salt, oil and bring to a boil.
- Next, add in the flour and whisk vigorously till it is combined well and no lumps are left. Let the mixture cool down.
- Using a pipping bag and star tip, pipe out the spirals onto a greased baking sheet and freeze it overnight.
- Once frozen, heat the oil and drop in the churro batter spirals. Fry till golden brown.
- Remove onto some paper towels and drain excess oil.
- Next, heat the white chocolate and coconut oil (using a double boiler method or in the microwave – If you are getting too impatient 😛 )
- Dip each churro half way and coat with white chocolate.
- Let the cool down in the refrigerator. Enjoy with Bhakti Chai!
These Churros are delicious to say the least! Not only does the Bhakti chai bring a unique aromatic and a slightly spicy kick to these, the chocolate dipping makes these churros irresistible. Try them out!! Me and my husband gobbled up some churros hot from the fryer but I made an extra batch (which I had to hide so that we don’t end up eating them all :P) to cool off so that I could refrigerate them after I dipped them in white chocolate. We enjoyed these the next day with some hot masala tea and it was just perfect. If you have not tried white chocolate with Indian chai masala, you are in for a big treat!
I am sure you would love to make this recipe on your own and would love to try some Bhakti products as well. To get you addicted to some Bhakti, here is your chance to win some VIP Bhakti coupons. Enter below and try your luck. This giveaway runs between 1st May 2017 (12 am PST) to 5th May 2017 (12 am PST). Only open to US residents. Good Luck! Don’t forget to share this giveaway with your friends.