Crepe is a type of very thin pancake, usually made from flour. It’s consumption is widespread in France & Quebec. I have attempted to make savory crepes with a hearty vegetable filling for this recipe.
Since Montreal is a city in Quebec province, i got a glimpse of this dish here. It happened one fine morning. Sometime in January, my husband decided to take me out for a Montreal style vegetarian breakfast. The options were obviously very limited and it took him a while to figure out exactly where we could go.
We went to a nearby place known for its Crepes. Crepes are made both Sweet and Savory. I ordered for a spinach cheddar crepe. It was amazing. Before trying it, i had assumed it to taste like one of many Indian pancake varieties (dosa/chilla) but this was distinctively different and pleasant in taste. Very satisfying and filling, i was delighted to have found out another dish which could be added to my list of “whats for breakfast” options.
This is a savory crepe recipe power packed with loads of healthy vegetables. I found this to be one of my best solutions to hide the “not so tempting” vegetables under the magic called “Crepes” 🙂
Savory Crepes – Power packed
Savory crepes - power packed
For Basic Crepes
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2/3 cup Water
- 2 tsp butter, melted
- 1 cup All purpose flour
For Savory Crepes add to the basic crepe ingredients:
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/3 grated carrots
- 1/3 cup spring onions
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 small green chilli chopped
- a few stems of coriander (optional. For an Indian touch)
For Sweet Crepes add to the basic crepe ingredients (* read the tip for filling at the end of this recipe):
- 1 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla Extract
- Pinch of cinnamon powder (optional)
filling for Crepe
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese – shredded
- 1 cup feta cheese – crumbled
- 1 cup brocolli – roughly cut
- 1 cup green/red/orange bell peppers
- 1/2 cup mushrooms – cut lengthwise
- 1/3 cup tofu – cut lengthwise (optional)
- 1 medium onion – cut lengthwise
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- Oregano to taste (optional)
Making the filling
- In a pan, heat the oil. Now add the onions and fry till translucent.
- Add in the vegetables, salt and pepper and saute of high flame. Since all the vegetables require very less cooking, toss for 5 minutes and shut the flame. Remove from pan and keep aside to cool.
Making the Crepe
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients for the crepe and make a thin batter of pouring consistency.
- Now take a Skillet pan and heat it. Add a laddle full of the crepe batter and spread it on the pan in a circular manner. Add some drops of melted butter/oil and toast the crepe on both sides.
Arranging for Serving
- Take one crepe at a time. Spread some grated Cheddar cheese on top of this hot crepe. Alternately, you can also use some cheese spread on top for an even coating.
- Arrange some crumbled feta cheese on one half of the crepe. Now put some filling on top of the feta cheese.
- Fold the crepe in half . Serve Warm.
These savory crepes are really filling and have heaps of nutrition in it making this a power packed meal.