Shahi sweet Seviyaan is sweet vermicelli delicacy prepared In India during many festivities. This is a real simple and quick dessert which makes this dish really tempting. DSB here creates the magical experience of festivity in the form of a 15 minutes quick dessert.
Vermicelli as we all know is so versatile. Cooked both sweet & savory, can be made into quick bites for brunch, mixed with soup to pump up the volume or even made into pancakes !I personally have a soft corner for vermicelli and love the savory version in the form of thai rice vermicelli (if i use rice vermicelli ) or vermicelli upma (recipe to come soon) where i add loads of vegetables, herbs, some Indian spices and a dash of lemon. I would invariably make the savory version but this one day when i had a sugar craving, i could not think of any other recipe but shahi sweet seviyaan.Its normal ! We all get those cravings … right? When it hits, one simply cannot process any other thought and there is just one goal – get that sugar in your system🙂
For me, sweet seviyaan has always been reminiscent of trips to friends and family during various festivals and been served with warm, glorious bowls of this heavenly tasting dessert. My mom would make her version of these seviyaan with milk and it would sometimes even become our breakfast (i am serious !) and we would happily finish off bowls after bowls of this.
Many foods are common to many regions of India but the preparation will have a slight change and this brings out uniqueness in each region’s preparation of the dish. In many regions, this dish would be prepared with milk (sometimes saffron yellow milk) and will have loads of nuts added, in others it would be just cooked in sugary water and various flavouring and exotic ingredients will be added to make the dessert fancy.
Shahi sweet seviyaan is an uncomplicated, simple ingredient dessert. This dish uses very less butter, making it a guilt free, pleasurable dessert.
Adjust sugar as per your taste and you can further cut down on your calorie intake. I sometime do not even add sugar in it when i make this in milk and just add some raisins or chopped dates as natural sweetners🙂
Shahi Sweet Seviyaan
Shahi Sweet Seviyaan
- 1 cup dried vermicelli
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon ghee/ butter
- 1/2 cup sugar (can increase the quantity as per taste)
- 1-2 cardamom pods (optional)
- 4-5 almonds, chopped into slivers
- About 20 raisins
- 4-5 saffron strands – soaked in 1 tsp lukewarm milk
- Take a bottom heavy pan and to it, add the ghee/butter and let it melt on medium high heat.
- To this, add the dried vermicelli and roast till light brown. Meanwhile take another pan and boil 2 cup of water.
- Once the vermicelli attains a light brown colour, add the boiled water to it and reduce the flame to low heat. Stir, cover with a lid and let it cook on simmer for 5-7 minutes. Add raisins at this time.
- Now uncover and add the sugar and crushed cardamom pods. Let it cook on low for another 2-3 minutes. Add the saffron strans with milk and combine. Shahi sweet seviyaan is ready.
- For serving, put the prepared seviyaan in a bowl and garnish it with almond slivers. You can also use edible silver foil for decoration.
For the milk version – Follow the same as above till step 3. After step 3, instead of adding sugar right away, add about 1.5-2 cups of milk (for the quantity of vermicelli as above) and then add your sugar and proceed with the steps 4 and 5.
This dessert is amazing in taste ! It is so simple, classic and truly speaks festivity to me in every sense. The nuts adds to an amazing crunch factor and the aromatic saffron makes it truly royal. If u wish, you can also add to it some rose water and some fresh grated coconut (roasted).
So, next time u have those sugar cravings or are just in the mood for some quick sweet bite, make this dessert and experience the magic🙂