The holiday season just got over and it was lots of fun ! The entire city was well lit and people were out on the streets purchasing gifts for family & friends. I, in my own kitchen lab was busy creating some party snacks for me and the Mr. 🙂 This dish is a conventional potato croquettes given a makeover. To describe more elaborately, i would say – it is the classic fusion of Potato Tikkis (Indian fried snack) with the potato croquettes and a surprise cheese burst center !! Yum, won’t u agree 🙂
As yummy as the name sounds, this dish is truly worthy of many compliments. Being an Indian, i take many inspirations from the traditional Indian spices and cooking methods and usually try to fuse those with the International palate. The results are usually very pleasing and delightfully tempting. This time, i was looking for some burger patties to go along my home made freshly baked buns. I usually go ahead with the soya as the base for patties and create my recipe of protein patties (recipe here) but this time i wanted to make them the way we have had it in India, which was always potato patties.
Since my mind often steers towards the Indian Street food, i wanted to make Aloo tikkis (Potato tikkis) to go along as potato patties. Aloo tikkis are very similar to burger Potato patties. They both use mashed potato as the base. The only probable difference is that Aloo/Potato tikkis are spicy and have Indian spices and are usually shallow fried. Anyway, back to my business .. Well since i wanted to make patties for burgers, adding in cheese just made perfect sense. Then there was some more thinking, some more inspirations and the initial idea was almost transformed. But man, was the result just superb 🙂
To pack up the confusion i just created above :P, the result is potato croquettes with a cheesy burst center. It works perfectly like the croquettes (duh), the burger potato patties and create the most awesome party snack too ! Try it and let the cheese burst blow your mind !
CHEESE BURST POTATO CROQUETTES
Cheese burst potato Croquettes
- 2 large potatoes – Boiled
- 1/2 cup mixed vegetables (peas, corn, finely shredded carrot)
- 20-30 gms cheddar cheese or any cheese of your choice which melts easily (cut into 1 cm cubes)
- 2 tsp chopped fresh coriander
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala (optional)
- 1 1/2 tsp chaat masala / dry mango powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (you can also prepare this at home. Take 2 bread slices and churn in the mixie till rough powder consistency)
- Oil for frying
- Take the boiled potatoes in a bowl. Using a masher or a ladle, mash the potatoes. Add coriander, chopped chillies, ginger, salt, red chilli powder, garam masala and chaat masala. Combine well.
- Take the mixed vegetable in a separate bowl. Microwave or steam the vegetables till tender and mix with the potato mixture. The mixture for croquettes is ready.
- Now, take 1 tablespoon of mixture between your palms and form a ball. Place the mixture ball in one palm and with the other thumb of the other hand, form a depression in the center of the mixture ball.
- Place one cheese cube in it and reform the croquette ball to keep the cheese cubes in the center. Prepare all the croquettes in the same way and keep aside.
- For frying the croquettes, take oil in a deep pan/kadayi and bring to heat.
- Meanwhile, coat each croquettes in the flour. Now dip the croquette in water quickly and take it out. Repeat these 2 steps two more times till each croquette has been rolled in flour thrice. Now after the croquette has been dipped in water the third time, roll it in the breadcrumbs evenly. Remove and keep on a plate. Repeat with all the croquettes. You can freeze a batch of these for upto 2 months to fry at a later stage as well.
- Now, add croquettes in the hot oil and deep fry till golden brown. Remove on an absorbent paper. Croquettes are ready.
- Serve with some mint-coriander chutney, tamarind chutney or spicy mayonnaise dip and enjoy hot.
They look gorgeous and taste even better. Coating with flour thrice gives this croquettes a nice layer and the breadcrumbs bring an amazing crunch to these croquettes.. but the real winner is the cheesy surprise awaiting for you as you take a bite into this amazing dish. The deep frying melts the cheese inside and as you cut the croquette open, cheese simply oozes out to delight you with joy.
I made this to go along with my burger buns and it striked just the perfect cord. The Indian spices and condiments add a Indian touch to this croquettes and they work great as Potato Tikkis ( an Indian fried snack specialty).
If you are looking for evening snacks or party food, these cheese burst potato croquettes are a great filling option and very interesting too. If you are serving these as party snacks, i would recommend the mint-coriander chutney (recipe here) or Tamarind chutney (recipe here).