Devoted Sriracha lovers like me know that this amazing, fiery red condiments brings that special kick to any thing its added to. Enjoyed mostly with Oriental foods, this red iconic sauce makes a true statement, both, in terms of its gorgeous fearless color and that zingy taste. Today, i am taking it to next level and adding it to one of my favorite foods – Cheese balls !
Sriracha has been one of those sauces which has given me a whole new respect for spicy sauces. This gralicky, pungent sauce takes hot sauces to a completely different level. I tried this sauce the first time after i shifted from India to Canada and boy oh boy .. was it a discovery ! During one of my trips to the local oriental store, there it was, this iconic red bottle with the sharp green cap, stacked in multiples. Instantly there was this urge to pick it up and give it a go without knowing how it would taste. I thank my stars that i did pick this beauty that day ! It became “THE HOT SAUCE” for me. Ever since that, i have tried various hot sauce variants but none has replaced this one.
Me and my husband eat this sauce with just about anything. We started with adding this to oriental dishes but soon it was becoming the dip sauce for fritters and pizzas and what not. This dish came to my mind one rainy afternoon when husband wanted to have a fiery, spicy snack and i had very limited ingredients at home. Whipped this up really quickly and it was so delicious ! From then on, this dish has become my response to “unexpected guests food” 🙂
Sriracha Cheese Bombs
Sriracha Cheese Bombs
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Makes : 30-35 small balls
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- 2-3 tablespoons of corn starch/ corn flour
- 1/2 tsp Soda bi carb
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce (u can add more or less, as per your preference)
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (i used parmesan cheese for this recipe but u can use swiss or cheddar too)
- Oil for deep frying
- Take a bowl to this add in the flour, corn starch/ corn flour, soda bi carb, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Now, slowly add in the water and make a paste of the above ingredients so that no lumps are formed. Now, add in the Sriracha sauce, bread crumbs and grated cheese to this mixture and combine well. You might notice that at this stage, the mixture is runny.
- Now, we will put this mixture in the microwave and heat it at maximum setting for 1 minute. The mixture will start to come together and dry out to resemble a sticky dough.
- Continue to microwave till the mixture comes to a doughy consistency.
- Let this mixture get a little cool down but not completely cool.
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a deep pan and bring to high heat. The oil should be hot when you put the cheese balls.
- Quickly form the dough into balls and deep fry them in oil.
- Remove once golden brown. Drain on an absorbent paper. The Sriracha Cheese Balls are ready.
YUMMY ! This recipe is so simple and quick that they are the ideal party finger food. I whipped them up last week when we had sudden guests at home and this was absolutely simple and 100% delicious ! I served this with my Sichuan sauce (Recipe here) and these little fiery spicy Sriracha balls were an instant hit with everyone ! If u like to mellow down the heat from these cheese balls, why not try it with my cool, yogurty Tzatziki sauce (Recipe here) . Try it 🙂
Taking this fiery appetizer dish to the Fiesta Friday virtual table ! Enjoy !