Tofu Tofu Tofu all the way ! I am a big tofu lover and this recipe is one that celebrates Tofu in a very fiery and fabulous way ! My recent visit to a Chinese eatery gave me the inspiration for this dish. The difference is that i make it spicier, tangier and so much more awesome ! Presenting the real fabulous Fire Cracker Sriracha Tofu <3
Fire cracker means fiery, hot, spicy and a burst of flavors in your mouth. With those words, my mind immediately runs towards Sriracha ! If i can, i would live on Sriracha 😛 I put it on just about anything savory and it works almost every single time 🙂 Well it surely does work fantastically with this firecracker tofu dish. Just look at it !! So vibrant, so tempting.. so delicious !
I have had this idea for a couple of weeks now. Wanted to make something with tofu which was not my usual Thai curry or Tofu sandwiches but something new. Yet again, i had gone and bought more Tofu when i already had a slab of it in the fridge. Last time that happened, i had whipped up some really quick Lemon marinated Tofu Pakoras with it but this time i was more inclined to make a curry.
Inspiration for Fire cracker Tofu
As i started rattling my brain for ideas, i remembered this one dish i had tried from a Chinese take out recently. It was called Firecracker Tofu. I had got really excited to see that entree on their menu and had ordered for it. Opposite to it’s name, it was not spicy at all, in fact it was on the sweeter side and had lots of soy sauce. I had liked the dish for its taste but somehow to me, the dish did not do justice to its fiery name. Me and the husband added lots of Sriracha on top and found it taste better.
This thought gave me the idea i needed today. I decided to make the real “firecracker” tofu and got down to figuring out the spices. The only brief i had in my mind was – Hot, spicy and full of flavours without too many fancy ingredients. So, here it is ! Have a look
Fire cracker Sriracha Tofu
Fire Cracker Sriracha Tofu
- Firm Tofu- 100gms, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- all purpose flour – 2 tablespoons
- corn starch – 1 tablespoon
- water- 2 tablespoons
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- oil for pan frying- 1 tablespoon
For Curry – I have used green chili, chili paste and Sriracha hot sauce for this
- Sesame oil- 1 tablespoon
- garlic- 3-4 cloves, minced
- ginger- 1 inch, grated
- green chili-2 medium, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- red and yellow bell peppers- 1/2 cup, finely chopped
- red chili flakes or Sambal Oelek chili paste- 1 teaspoon
- Sriracha hot sauce – 1 tablespoon
- light soy sauce- 1 tablespoon
- white vinegar- 1 teaspoon
- sugar (i used cane sugar)- 1 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Juice of half lemon
- Sesame seeds for garnishing
- green spring onion, finely chopped for garnishing
- We will begin with preparing the tofu. For this mix all purpose flour, corn flour, salt, pepper and water together to form a smooth and semi thick batter.
- Heat a non stick pan with oil and keep ready. Dip the tofu pieces in the batter and an fry in the pan on all sides till crispy. Remove and keep aside.
- Now, take a wok pan. Bring to heat and let it get hot. Once hot, pour in the sesame oil. Add in the spring onion, bell peppers, green chili, ginger and garlic. Saute on high for about a minute.
- Add in the chili flakes/ sambal oelek, sriracha, soya sauce, vinegar, salt, pepper and sugar. Mix well and keep sauteing on high. Add a little water to it and create a saucy gravy. Add in the tofu pieces and toss. Let this saute for another minute. Adjust spices as per your taste preference.
- Remove from flame. Add in the lemon juice, sesame seeds and spring onions for garnishing on top and serve piping hot with plain rice.
This may sound funny but i patted my own back after making this dish. In my opinion, the tofu was completely transformed and the juices of the gravy made the tofu simply irresistible. I served this curry on bed of rice and it was just the perfect pairing ! The best part : you would need nothing else along ! Just a glass of water maybe 😛
This is awesome!Its got all my favorite ingredients in the recipe. Mouth watering and beautiful presentation 🙂
I love tofu too and this recipe has given me one more reason to love it!!
love the presentation too!
I am glad to know this Puneet !!
I am a big Sriracha fan too, Prachi! Can pour it on everything:)
Love your recipe and the presentation! Yummy!
Pingback: Collection of 10 "Must Try" Tofu recipes - Meatless Monday – Divine Spice Box