I love soups ! They are simple, fuss free and so satisfying 🙂 Give me a big bowl of soup for each meal and i shall never complain. I feel soups are a great way to nourish your body and sneak in those “healthy but sometimes undesirable” ingredients into a soulful bowl. For my family, that ingredient has been broccoli, until this soup got added to my bucket of soups.
Broccoli & toasted Almond Soup
broccoli & toasted Almond soup
- 4 cups broccoli florets (this is just for approximation. You can also take 1 big head of broccoli and cut them into florets)
- 1- 1.5 ltr water
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 2-3 cloves of garlic (optional), finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- handful of almonds, toasted and grounded (toast the almonds with skins on on a dry skillet)
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 cup milk
- Almond slivers for garnishing
- We begin with lots of water. Bring to heat and let this boil. To this, add in some salt. Now, add in the broccoli florets and sprinkle some salt on top. Cover with a lid and let this boil for another 3-4 minutes. Shut the flame.
- Quickly remove the broccoli from the water. Save the water which would be used as the broth to prepare the soup.
- Now, before the broccoli gets cold, put the broccoli florets in a blender and add about 1-1.5 cup of water and blend till smooth. Keep aside.
- Now, take a saucepan and to it add the oil. Next, add in the chopped onions and garlic and saute till translucent. Add in the milk and mix well. Now, add in salt and pepper and let it come to a boil. Once the milk, comes to a boil Add in the toasted almond powder and shut the flame*.
- Add in the blended broccoli into the milk mixture and mix well. Adjust the salt and pepper as desired. *Do not cook the soup once you add the broccoli into the milk mixture. Cooking the broccoli too much looses it’s color.
To serve, pour the soup into a bowl and garnish with almond slivers. You can also add in some par-boiled broccoli florets into the soup for an added crunch.