Here comes another way of cooking Eggplants. I have loved eggplants as long as i can recall and my love for eggplants has always increased with every single dish i have made. Today, i have a quick stir fry dish which is not only easy to prepare for those busy days but it is so fragrant, beautiful and elegant that it can very well be a contender for your next guest lunch. Presenting Eggplant with Tofu in Garlic sauce.
Eggplants are versatile. To begin with, even the name has so many forms – Aubergines, eggplants, brinjal etc 🙂 Just like potatoes, i feel eggplants have immense potential in them to be made into various forms and enjoyed with almost every thing. This has been one of those vegetables which caught my eye at a very young age and i have grown fond of it since then. My mom would usually cook various Indian curries with it and through her, i learned to appreciate the versatility of this vegetable. If i am not wrong, this is probably the most widely used vegetable in my dishes on this blog, even more than potatoes !
Few of my all time favorite Eggplant dishes are :
Try all these recipes if you an Eggplant fan just like me. Now, why waste any more time. Lets hop on the recipe right away !
Eggplant with Tofu in Garlic Sauce
Eggplant with tofu in Garlic Sauce
- 2 long Chinese eggplants, cut into cubes
- 100 gms extra firm tofu, cubes
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch of spring onions/ green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tsp Sriracha/ red hot sauce
- 1 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar (i prefer cane sugar)
- Salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- chopped coriander for garnishing (optional)
- Heat a wok pan. To this, add in the sesame oil and bring to heat.
- Next, add in the eggplant cubes and saute on high. Sprinkle salt in the pan and keep sauteing till the eggplant gets soft and mushy.
- In a bowl, add in the sugar, veinagr, pepper, salt, red hot sauce and soy sauce. Mix well. Now, add in the tofu cubes and soak in the soy sauce mix. Let this soak for atleast 10 minutes.
- Now, add these tofu cubes along with the soy sauce mix in the pan and keep sauteing on medium high. Add in the chopped garlic and spring onions. cook for another 5 minutes on high. The stir fry dish is ready.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with rice (basmati/jasmine) or Naans.
Note : You can also make a tomato onion gravy to add more oomph to this dish. Prepare the gravy separately and add to the dish just before serving.
Feel free to Use Cottage Cheese/ Paneer for this recipe to substitute Tofu if you don’t have Tofu at home. If using paneer, you would need to marinate for about 30-40 minutes.
I tried this stir fry for the first time and it was enjoyed by everyone in my family. The eggplants were succulent and soaked with amazing flavours of sriracha and soy sauce. Served this with a side of fragrant Basmati rice and it was amazing ! Try it the next time you want a great dish which is flavourful, substantial and has the protein goodness too ! I would say… perfect for those brunches 🙂