With scorching heat making it tough to survive even indoors, bhapa doi is a sweet savior to say the least. I have made it couple of times and it has not disappointed me once. Today, i am adding that oomph to the bhapa doi and making a “perfect summer” cheesecake with it. Let’s chill and learn how to make this Mango Cheesecake Bhapa doi.
Bhapa doi is a traditional steamed sweetened yogurt dessert. That sounds simple right? Well, it is pretty simple but this one technique amplifies the flavor of a simple sweetened yogurt and takes it to a whole new level. The first time i prepared it, i fell in love with the simplicity of this dessert…the flavor is pretty much like a cheesecake and it is amazing to see just simple yogurt doing the work ! Being an absolute cheesecake fan, my mind started racing towards my favorite cheesecake flavors and i got really excited to ditch the cream cheese and make a “no cream cheese cheesecake”(if that makes any sense :P)
Easy to prepare and with minimal ingredients, this is one sweet which is enjoyed by all ages. With the scorching summers, there is nothing better than enjoying this light, airy and cold bhapa doi. To make it even more interesting and apt for summers, it has been combined with the aromatic mangoes of the season and made into a gorgeous and totally delicious mango cheesecake. Your guests won’t even miss the cream cheese in this silky, creamy and smooth dessert.
Mango Cheesecake Bhapa Doi
Mango Cheesecake Bhapa Doi
For the cheesecake base
- 10-12 graham crackers/ digestive biscuits
- ½ cup/ 100 gms butter, melted
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
For the Bhapa doi
- 2 cups hung yogurt/ Greek yogurt/ store bought yogurt
- ½ cup sweet condensed milk
- ½ cup mango puree
- 2-3 green cardamoms, skin removed and powdered
Food processor, Mixing bowl, Spoons, Steamer pot/rice cooker, spring form pan/ tart pan, aluminum foil
- Preparing the cheesecake base– In a food processor put all the ingredients for the base and process till the mix resembles bread crumbs.
- Take out the base mix into the pre-greased spring form pan/ tart pan and using the back of a spoon, spread the mix evenly on the pan and form a layer.
- Preparing the Bhapa doi mix – In a mixing bowl, take all the ingredients for the bhapa doi and mix till well combined.
- Next, Carefully pour the bhapa doi mix over the graham cracker base and spread evenly. Gently tap the cake pan on the counter to spread the batter evenly and release any bubbles trapped in the bhapa doi mix. Cover the cake tin with an aluminium foil.
- Take a steam pot and add enough water into it. Heat on high flame till the water boils and start to release steam. When the steamer is ready, place your cake tin with the foil inside the steamer and steam for 20-25 minutes or till the bhapa doi is set and does not wobble upon shaking gently.
- Once done, remove the cake tin out of the steamer and let it sit on the counter till it cools down. Refrigerate the cheesecake for at least an hour before serving. Garnish with chopped pistachios or with chocolate.
Isn’t that the best thing ever !
The cheesecake graham cracker crust just brings that perfect texture to the creamy, rich yet light bhapa doi filling making for a guilt free dessert. What really takes this cheesecake to the next level though.. is the use of fresh Mango and that hint of cardamom which makes this a delectable dessert you don’t want to stop eating 😛 To make them for my guests, i used the Wilton small spring form tin and got individual portions which turned out to be the highlight of the dinner ! So, now that you have the recipe, make it quickly while the fresh mangoes are around and enjoy this truly divine dessert !!
Are you a Mango lover? Try these :