I am one big fan of cheesecakes. Everything about it reflects the quality of a classic dessert for me. The crunchy biscuit base complimenting the creamy, rich, melting in the mouth cream cheese filling and the elegant look of this dessert makes it really irresistible. I adore the color contrast that is usually created between the different component layers of cheesecakes and the eye feast which one savors through this visual celebration.
I have some real good memories attached with my first cheesecake tasting. I was away on a holiday with my family and we had ordered this cake for celebrating my mother’s birthday in a pastry shop in Chandigarh (Punjab, India). Not only was that probably the best thing for me on that holiday but also i was so happy to have found this pastry shop that i decided to always visit that shop whenever i visit Chandigarh. Ever since the first time i had a cheesecake slice, i have been in pure love with this dessert and the bond just keeps getting stronger with every new day in my cheesecake world.
The budding pastry chef in me obviously have had dreams of re-creating a home version of this cheesecake and i have tried it with couple of variations. One of the very unique variation involved using sweet- vanilla flavored Hung Curd as the cheesecake filling. Trust me , it was delicious.
Here, we have a Lemony -Mango Cheesecake. The lemon freshness and flavor really compliments the sweet richness of fresh mango puree and gives an element of zing to this lovely cheesecake.
Preparation time (Chilling time included) – 3 hrs
Makes – One 9×2 inch pan
There are 2 parts of the Cheesecake – The biscuit base and filling
For Biscuit Base
- 3 cups sweet biscuits (digestive/ cookies/ chocolate biscuits) – Crushed
- 150 gms butter
- 2 tsp icing sugar/ super fine sugar (or as per taste)
For Cheesecake filling
- 250 gms cream cheese
- 250 ml whipping cream / double cream (in case of whipping cream, choose a 35-40% fat content for a creamy texture)
- 150 gms icing sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp gelatin + 1/3 cup boiling water ( you can also use 1 tsp lemon jelly and follow the instructions as provided on the packet)
- puree of 1 mango
- 1/2 mango chopped
- Whipped cream can (optional)
- In a bowl, add all the ingredients of the biscuit base and mix well. Now, take a 9 inch dia springform cake pan (springform helps in taking out the cheesecake out of the cake pan cleanly. You can also use a disposable pie tin) and spread the biscuit base evenly. Refrigerate this in the fridge for 15 minutes to set.
- Now, in a separate bowl, whisk the cream cheese till soft. Keep adding little sugar at a time and mix well. To this, add the vanilla extract and lemon juice.
- Now, in a small bowl, take the gelatin and to this add the boiling water. Mix till this thickens a little bit. Add this to the cream cheese mixture.
- Using a food processor, whip the whipping/ double cream till soft peaks are formed.
- Now fold in the whipped cream to the cream cheese mixture. The filling is ready.
- Take the biscuit base from the refrigerator and to this, pour in the filling and spread evenly. Now Refrigerator this for another 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, decorate the cheesecake with the mango puree and add the chopped mango on the top. Decorate with Whipped cream. Now u can serve it immediately or refrigerate again till use)
Add chunks of fresh cut Mango to this and your beautiful looking cheesecake is ready to create lasting impressions !!