Cookies are awesome ! Sweet delight in small packages.
This is my first try at cookies and i am very pleased with the results. The cookies are very crunchy, have an amazing aroma and taste beautiful. The combination works wonders !!
I always have a stash of cookies in my cupboard and i usually make sure that my cookie jar never gets empty. Though i find cookies of all sorts sinfully delicious, the calories each bite contains, gives me the guilty trip sometimes 😛 The ones we find in the market usually have loads of sugar and butter. Acknowledging that fact, i still end up buying it every single time as i make a pact with my inner self not to consume more than 1 cookie a day. Obviously by the 3rd day, i forget all about it and then it gets tough to let go off the temptation. Cookies really do have that kind of Charm !! 🙂
Lately, i have been trying to get hands on with my oven and i thought making cookies might help me get friendlier with it fast. All i had in my mind as a consideration was to try minimize the use of butter and sugar while retaining the cookie charm. I have had a packet of dark chocolate chips (85% dark) with me for sometime now. Had bought that once, like many other things i just pick up off the shelf without a slightest idea of what it would be used for in the future. I like to always keep myself equipped with some interesting food ingredients – i call them Creative Germinators !
The idea was to create some chocolate chip cookies but as i iterated and thought over some more, i liked the idea of combining the Peanut butter to these cookies as well. Peanut butter finds its way in for PBJ sandwiches (Peanut Butter Jam) in the winters at our home but consuming it in summers is a tough go as it starts to feel heavy on the palate. I usually end up using my leftover Peanut butter from winters in the form of Thai Peanut sauce for Rice Vermicelli or in sweet delights like i did for this one.
The PB Chocolate chip cookies are smart way of incorporating the Peanut sweet-nuttiness with the bitter-richness of chocolate chips. Also, using PB helps reduce the amount of butter. Though PB will taste mild in the cookies, putting in less sugar will help enhance the taste of peanut butter. I somehow like the sugar to be a little low in my cookies so that i can enjoy the flavors of the chocolate chips and Peanut butter well.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
- 2 cups wheat flour/ all purpose flour
- 150 gms butter (softened in room temperature)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp soda bi carb
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 150 gms sugar (can add more if you like your cookies sweeter)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 gms chocolate chips
- 50 gms chunky peanut butter (softened)
- 100 ml milk
- Preheat oven to 370F.
- Meanwhile, take a bowl and mix sugar, milk, butter, peanut butter, salt and vanilla extract. Mix well till it forms a homogenous mixture and the sugar is melted. You can also warm the milk a bit to help in melting of the butter+peanut butter and dissolving the sugar.
- In a separate bowl, take the flour ( i used a mixture of all purpose flour and wheat flour – 1:1 ratio). Add to it the soda bi-carb and baking soda. Mix well.
Now, in the bowl with the liquid batter, slowly add in the dry mixture (1/2 cup at a time) and fold in*. Also Add in the chocolate chips at this moment.
- Take a baking sheet and grease it ( i use cooking spray to have an even coat. This will help in avoiding cookies from sticking to the base of the baking sheet ).
- With the help of a spoon, take a spoonful of the cookie dough and put it on the baking tray to form cookies. Try and keep about 2 cm distance between each spread (the dough will rise while baking).You may flatten it out a bit to even the surface. This will help in even baking of the cookies.
- Put the tray in the oven and let it bake for about 30 minutes. Check the status is between. If u have put in multiple trays in the oven, make sure to exchange the top tray with the bottom one to make sure all the cookies are evenly baked. Let it bake for another 15 minutes to get golden brown. You can even check the bottom of one of the cookies to make sure the cookies are not getting burnt.
- Once done, remove from oven and take out the cookies from the baking sheet. Spread on a cooling rack and let it cool down completely. Your PB chocolate chip cookies are ready !
*While mixing the ingredients for baking, always fold in the dry mixture with the liquid ingredients. For that, just work in one direction with your mixing spoon till the mixture is homogenous. This will help the batter to rise while baking, making your baked goods fluffy and lighter.
The cookies are not only sinfully delicious but low on sugar and butter giving them extra points on the health meter. These cookies are bound to make your soul happy and your kitchen smelling lovely the entire day! For me, there is no better satisfaction than having your own home-made cookies with a hot cup of coffee. The comfort of knowing how much lesser calories you consume with each home-made cookie versus packed ones is a take away !