Mondays are meant to set goals. This week, mine is to consume more veggie proteins in my meals. For vegetarians like myself, this means loading up on lentils, beans, tofu, nuts etc.. but sometimes that becomes boring right? Well, not really if you get to enjoy pasta and not worry about the loading carbs ! Sounds exciting enough? Well, how about making a sensational curry sauce to amp up the “wow” factor then 🙂 So, let’s dive into it and make some Lentil Pasta in Mushroom Butter Masala Sauce.
Monday just got better !! I was checking my pantry, hunting ideas for my meal planner (yes , i do a follow meal planner.. sometimes :P) and though half of my pantry is stocked with different types of pastas and sauces, i was really looking for something which would be protein rich. Now most of the pastas are basically carbs, so i was less inclined towards it but then i remembered the meal kits by Modern Table Meals which have been in my pantry for a while and i got an idea !
Modern Table Meals
Modern Table meals pasta are “all lentil pastas” which makes it a really lucrative deal to load up on protein while enjoying the comforts of a delicious pasta dish !! This is exactly what i needed to kickstart my “protein rich monday !”. Very few companies have started making pastas with lentils but i find the concept very interesting and i am a 100% sold on the idea 🙂
Now, who doesn’t like curries ! I am always In for a bowl of “something” butter masala and some naans … yum ! For this recipe i thought, i would take the inspiration for my pasta sauce from a very famous Indian curry (Chicken Butter Masala) and create an Indo fusion version of pasta.. the “Divine Spice Box kinds !”
Lentil Pasta in Mushroom Butter Masala Sauce
Lentil Pasta in Mushroom Butter Masala Sauce
I have used Modern Table Meals’s Lentil Pasta for this dish.
- Lentil Pasta (i used Modern Table’s Lentil Penne) – 1 pack
- button mushrooms- 1 cup, cut into quarters
- fresh/ frozen peas- 1/2 cup
- Coriander for garnishing
- Parmesan cheese for garnishing
- Butter Masala sauce (Ingredients below)- 1.5 cups
- oil – 1 tablespoon
- butter – 1 tablespoon
- onion – 1 medium
- milk/ cream (can use coconut milk for vegan option) – 1/2 cup
- tomatoes – 2 big/3 medium
- green chili – 1 small
- ginger – 1 inch
- garlic – 3 cloves
- turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- garam masala – 1 tsp
- salt to taste
- red chili powder/paprika- 1/2 tsp
- sugar – 1 tsp
- Take a deep bottom pan and add enough water to it to boil the pasta. Boil as per the instructions on the back of the package.
- While the water boils for the pasta, let us prepare the butter masala sauce in a different pan. For that, take a separate pan and add butter + oil to it. Bring to heat.
- Using a food processor, puree together the onion, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and green chilies.
- Add the pureed mix to the hot oil. Add in salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala and mix. Let it cook on high till the puree reduces down and the excess water evaporates.
- Now, add in the cream/ milk to it and mix well. Add in the sugar and mix well. Let it cook for a couple more seconds. The butter masala sauce is ready.
- Now, add in the mushroom and peas and mix well. Let it cook for a couple of minutes. Add in the cooked pasta and adjust the spices as required. The pasta is ready.
- Sprinkle coriander and Parmesan on top and serve warm.
Isn’t that simply gorgeous !
I never tried making an Indian curry sauce for pastas before and now i am wondering why i did not start doing that earlier … coz this is simply “CRAZY GOOD”. I mean it !! This curry sauce makes the pasta so much more delicious and creamy. Since i used Lentil pasta for this recipe, the dish felt like i was really digging into a restaurant quality Indian curry and i loved it to core. Try it out and i am sure you will like it just like i did 🙂
Also, if u haven’t tried Lentil pastas before, i would really recommend you all to give it a go because they taste just like usual pastas (similar appearance, texture and flavour but they make the meals protein rich 🙂 I am personally in love with them !!
It all looks and sounds good to me 🙂
I’m going to have to look for the lentil pasta at my grocery store– looks delicious!
Oh u must Hetal… They are amazing !!
Pingback: Meatless Monday – Creamy Tomato Basil Capellini | Divine Spice Box
Pingback: Mediterranean Pasta with Lemon Zaatar Meatless “Chicken” | Divine Spice Box
Pingback: Mediterranean Pasta with Lemon Zaatar Meatless "Chicken" – Divine Spice Box