I am feeling super happy today ! Guess why? well mostly because my fridge is stocked with some amazing brownie bites i baked to last me all weekend. It is really a matter of satisfaction for me when i see my fridge stocked with food. Savory and sweet, i need my fridge to tell me i am in good food heaven so that if even the day goes bad, i can come back home to a hearty comforting meal 🙂 My today’s highlight is these Mocha Fudge Brownies which you can never get enough of 🙂 So, lets make them !
One of my friends (who happens to be my neighbor too) was in a little low mood since yesterday and i thought she needed some good old chocolate to cheer her up ! To give her a surprise, i decided to bake some goodies for her! Well isn’t that the secret for bringing an instant smile on someone’s face? We decided to pool some of our pantry ingredients and come up with an instant recipe with it. The idea sounded like a lot of fun and we went ahead with it.
I just love the idea of impromptu baking ! I feel you need to have the knack for baking when it comes to figuring out a recipe through the ingredients rather than the other way round. I guess it is the factor of challenge and chance that gives me the adrenaline rush to come up with recipes in such cases 🙂 My friend got her stock of ingredients and i opened up my pantry to complete the pieces of the “brownie recipe puzzle”.
This is a bit of an unusual recipe as i am using a “Egg substitute by Neat” for the fluffiness, yogurt for the moisture and dates and brown sugar for the sweeteness. It is decadent in taste but on the healthier side.. look so less butter too !
Mocha Fudge Brownies
Mocha Fudge Brownies
Note: I have used Neat food’s Egg substitute for this recipe.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp soda bi carb
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup greek yogurt/ hung yogurt (you can replace this with coconut milk for vegan)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 12-15 dates, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes and pureed
- 1 tablespoons Neat Eggs replacement mixed in 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp espresso coffee, mixed in 2 tablespoons water
- 50 gms dark chocolate, cut into bits
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup mix nuts (i used almonds and walnuts)
Preheat the oven to 375 F/ 180 C and keep ready to bake. Pre-grease a baking tin with butter and keep ready.
- Take a bowl and add all the dry ingredients in it. Mix well and keep aside.
- Now, in a separate bowl, add in the date puree, yogurt, brown sugar, neat eggs mixed with water, butter and combine till homogenous.
- Using the double boiler method, melt the dark chocolate. Add this to the other wet ingredients. Add in the coffee water and vanilla essence.Mix well.
- Now, slowly add in spoons-full of dry ingredient mix into the wet mix and gently fold in till all the dry ingredients are mixed into a homogenous batter.
- Pour the batter in the pre-greased tin. Gently tap the tin to remove any air bubbles trapped inside the poured batter and bake this for 25-30 minutes or till done. Serve the cake warm or cold.
To check that the cake is done, insert a pin/ toothpick in the center of the cake and see if the pin comes out clear.
One ingredient which helped me get that amazing texture in my brownies is the Neat Eggs. It is a vegan egg substitute and works wonders in this recipe. If you have not tried it, go try it ! I also did a product review for Neat meat replacement a few weeks ago. Check out my review here and the recipe of Chiles Rellenos i created using it. Thanks NeatFoods for the samples ! I am in love with the Neat Egg !!
I was so impatient that i cut myself one big piece right away.. while still hot 😛 I did burn my mouth a little with the oozing chocolate chips…but it was sooo worth it ! This brownie is fudgy, decadent but at the same time, so light that me and my friend had 2 pieces each and we could have gone for the thirds if my husband did not come and tell us to stop… haha ! She went home with a goody bag of brownies and my mission was accomplished ! So, if u wish to have an chocolaty weekend, indulge in some of these Mocha fudge brownies ! Have a great weekend 🙂