Yesterday i visited farmers market and got some really fresh berries. When it comes to fresh produce and specially berries, i find it really irresistible to hold myself from buying them. The healthy colors, the freshness, the flavours.. they call out to me and then i go crazy 😛 I froze a big batch and kept some for my morning smoothie. Today’s special – my ultimate favorite combination of berries – Triple Berry Smoothie.
As it is said “In the Pink of health”, this triple berry smoothie is a powerhouse of nutrition and antioxidants. The tangy-sweet strawberries, blackberries and blueberries not only make for a delicious mix but also give a bright “pink “ hue to this beautiful smoothie. Perfect to enjoy in summers, this smoothie also works well for a breakfast accompaniment or as a post workout drink. Read the recipe below !
Triple Berry Smoothie
Triple berry smoothie
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 cup orange juice, fresh preferred
- 1 cup strawberry, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup blackberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 4-5 cubes of ice (if you are using fresh berries)
- 1 tsp chia seeds, soaked in 2 tablespoons of water for half an hour
If using frozen fruits
- Place the frozen berries in a blender and pulse for a few seconds or till the berries are crushed and resemble ice shavings.
- Add in the orange juice and coconut milk. Blend again for half a minute.
- Now, add in the banana chunks and blend till smooth.
- Add soaked chia seeds on top as a garnishing and serve immediately
If using fresh fruits
- Place the ice cubes in a blender and blend till the ice cubes are crushed and form ice shavings.
- Add in the fresh berries. Blend for a couple of seconds.
- Add in orange juice and coconut milk. Blend.
- Add soaked chia seeds on top as a garnishing and serve immediately.
- It is suggested to use frozen fruits for this recipe as the smoothie will not turn watery and remain cold for a longer duration.
- Adjust the amount of coconut milk and orange juice as per the desired consistency of the smoothie.
- If the fruits are not sweet, you may add some sweetener in it. Honey/ maple syrup is suggested.
- Soak the chia seeds in water/ coconut milk for half an hour before using. Chia seeds double in size and take on a chewy texture upon soaking.
Are you drooling just looking at the color of that vibrant drink? How can you keep yourself from giving this a go ! I made some using the fresh fruits and it was so delicious that we repeated it in the evening with some frozen ones ! Make it either way, it tastes fabulous !