Happy Monday Folks !! How is everyone doing today? Are you all geared up to cook some fun stuff during the week or have you just put on your thinking caps and are looking for some ideas? Either way, my dish for today would be a special addition to your meal planners and i am sure you are going to love every bit of it. So, lets make some lip smacking Potato Breakfast burrito.
Last friday, i went to shop for my weekly supply of groceries and i was lucky to find some really gorgeous Avocados. Now, California is flooded with avocados all year round and one can find them in practically every grocery store but finding the “just ripe” one is luck. Even after reading on how to select the “ripe” ones, i usually end up with at least 1 avocado which would take forever to ripen up. This time though, i got really lucky and my avocados were all “good to eat” right away. The first thing that popped up in my head was off course – good old guacamole !
Today, when i made guacamole, i tweaked my usual recipe a bit and decided to add some fresh mint for an interesting flavor. I like to add mint to my Indian coriander chutney and that lends an amazing freshness and flavor, so i thought since many of the ingredients in my coriander chutney and the guacamole are same, why not give it a go ! It tasted amazing !! Its like… i re-discovered the magic of guacamole 🙂
So, with a tub full of guacamole stacked in the refrigerator, i was fishing for ideas to use it for my breakfast meal and i thought, why complicate the matters.. why not go the Tex-mex route? So, i decided to make some hash browns and use that as a stuffing for my breakfast burritos (coz anything tastes better with potatoes, right :P)
Potato Breakfast Burrito
Potato breakfast burrito
The different components of this potato breakfast burrito are :
- tortillas – 2 big
- cheddar cheese-1/2 cup , grated
- potatoes- 2 medium
- oil – 1 tsp
- salt- pinch
- black pepper- pinch
- paprika- pinch
- black beans-1 cup , boiled
- oil- 2 tsp
- onion-1 small , finely chopped
- pinch of salt
- cumin powder- 1/4th tsp
- green chili-1 small , finely chopped
- pinch of red chili powder
Follow the recipe here for the basic guacamole recipe or try this mint guacamole variation.
- 1/2 avocado
- onion-1 small , finely chopped
- mint leaves- 1/2 cup
- green coriander leaves- 1/2 cup
- cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
- 2 cloves of garlic
- green chili- 1 small , finely chopped
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1/2 lemon, juice
- Preparing the potato stuffing -Take a pan and add oil to it. Bring to heat. Once the oil is hot, add in the potatoes. Sprinkle salt and cook on medium heat for 7-10 minutes or till the potatoes are cooked. Sprinkle black pepper and paprika. Mix. The stuffing is ready.
- Preparing the black beans – Take a pan. Add oil to it and bring to heat. Add in chopped onion and garlic & saute till the onions are translucent. Next, add in the boiled black beans, salt, cumin powder, green chili and red chili powder. Mix and cook on medium high till the black beans comes to a boil. Using a spatula, mash a few of the black beans to have a thick saucy base for the beans. The beans are ready.
- Preparing Guacamole – In a food processor, put all the ingredients for the guacamole and blitz together till everything is well combined and smooth. If you like to keep a chunky texture, process everything else except the avocado in the food processor and mix together. Then add it to mashed avocado and mix for a chunky guacamole.
- To assemble the burrito – Take a tortilla and heat it up on a skillet. To assemble, begin with putting some guacamole to the tortilla. Next, put some potato stuffing, followed by black beans, cheese and some salsas if you like. Finally, wrap up the tortilla into a burrito wrap and serve immediately with some more guacamole or salsas.
Its that easy !
Yeah.. and if you have the fixants, like i did (after my last night Mexican fiesta of burrito bowls and nachos), you pretty much just need to cook up some potatoes really quick and after that, its just about assembling stuff ! I cooked and it was ready in 15 minutes. I happily chomped down these amazing burritos for brunch and just like, with some humble ingredients, my day got made 🙂