How many curd/ yogurt lovers here? I just love to eat it by spoonful 🙂 When it is hot outside and i am lazy, i always end up eating Thayir Sadam/ Curd rice. Such a simple dish but so soothing ! Today i thought of making this dish protein rich and switched rice with Quinoa in this dish. What’s better? There is coconut milk too !! So, its really a creamy, dreamy and rich Quinoa Thayir Sadam
Dahi Bhaat/ curd rice is a common south Indian rice dish and is often a part of a typical south Indian platter. Rice is cooked and soaked in yogurt and then some spices are added to it along with a tempering of mustard seeds and curry leaves. It is a light dish prepared using very few spices.
Here is a protein rich version of the dish which is prepared using Quinoa instead of rice and is soaked in yogurt and coconut milk for a rich and creamy texture. To make it even more interesting, this Quinoa curd bhaat is packed with fresh avocados, carrots and bell peppers which not even add to the taste but bring in some crunch to the dish.
Quinoa Thayir Sadam/ Dahi Bhaat
Quinoa Dahi Bhaat
- 3/4th cup Quinoa
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 5 cups water (to cook Quinoa)
- 1 cup yogurt/curd
- ½ cup coconut milk (can also substitute with milk)
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp red chili powder or to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Pinch of asafoetida
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 whole red chili
- 3-4 curry leaves
- 1 inch ginger, grated or finely chopped
- 1 medium green chili, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons peanuts, fried or roasted
- 1 small bell pepper (red/green), chopped
- 1 small carrot, chopped or cut into sticks
- 1 small avocado, chopped in cubes or slices
- Handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Wash Quinoa thoroughly. Take a pan and to it, add in the oil. Bring to heat. Once the oil is hot, add in the Quinoa and roast for a couple of minutes till the Quinoa gets slightly toasted. Now, add in water and cook the quinoa till soft and fluffy. Once ready, transfer the quinoa in a mixing bowl and let it cool down for a couple of minutes.
- Now, add in coconut milk, yogurt, salt and red chili powder. Mix thoroughly and refrigerate for 15 mins to chill.
- Meanwhile we will prepare the tempering. In a pan, add in oil and heat it. Once hot, add in asafoetida, mustard seeds, whole red chili and curry leaves. Once the mustard seeds splutter, remove from heat and pour on top of the cold yogurt quinoa.
- Now, add in all the other ingredients for the tempering and mix with the quinoa Bhaat. Serve immediately.
- You can also cook quinoa without toasting. Toasting just brings out a nutty flavour to the Quinoa.
- You can cook Quinoa in advance and keep it refrigerated till needed.
- You can mix yogurt and coconut milk with Quinoa and keep it over night for a better flavour.
- Mix fresh, raw ingredients with the quinoa bhaat just before serving to keep the Quinoa bhaat fresh.
Give this dish a go ! Loaf it up with veggies, avocados, grilled tofu and you have a complete meal.
If you like South Indian food, try some of these dishes :