The summers are here and i am thinking of salads for lunch these days. For today, i am thinking of a protein rich salad which is satisfying and can be enjoyed as a main dish or even an evening snack. Presenting Kala Chana Chaat.
Black garbanzo/ kala chana are rich in potassium, phosphorus, magnesium and calcium. It also has impressive amounts of iron, sodium, selenium and small amounts of copper, zinc and manganese. Impressive right? This itself is a good enough reason for me to include it in my salad for today.
This is a protein packed salad with the goodness of black chickpeas & tofu, crunchy lettuce and zesty lemon dressing. A great salad meal for
weight watchers and diabetes patients
I soaked the black chickpeas yesterday night and today, after i boiled them, i was hunting for ideas. Indian curries are always the first thing that comes to my mind but i was trying to make a salad out of it. Usually the Indian chaat salad would be tomatoes, onions, salt, chaat masala and lemon juice mixed with the kala chana. I thought why not a lemon vinaigrette ? 🙂
Chana Chaat – Protein power kala chana salad
protein power black garbanzo salad
- 2 cups kala chana (boiled)
- 1 bunch Romaine Lettuce (or any as per preference), roughly chopped
- 1 cup red bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 tomato, diced
- 100 gms firm Tofu, diced into cubes (you can also substitute Tofu with Paneer )
- 2 tsp vegetable oil (for roasting the tofu)
Dressing – Honey Lemon Vinaigrette
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp Extra virgin Olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp salt or as per taste
- Sprinkle of black pepper
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 1 tsp honey
- Take a pan and put to heat. Add the oil and bring to heat. Once the pan is hot, add in the Tofu/Paneer cubes and roast on each side till roasted and crunchy.
- Now, take a mixing bowl. Add the boiled kala chana, romaine lettuce, bell peppers and tomato in it and mix well. Now, add the crunchy tofu/paneer pieces to this mix.
- In a separate bowl, mix all the ingredients for the dressing and mix well till homogeneous.
- Add the dressing on top of the salad mix just before serving. Mix well till the dressing is evenly distributed. The salad is ready.
Easy – peasy and full of flavors, this kala chana salad is not only highly nutritious but delicious to core and satisfying. Try it out !