Asian style soup ‘n’ noodles is a one pot, soul satisfying dish which is loaded with hearty vegetables, is real simple to make and has the goodness of both, the soupy spicy broth and thin, long strands of yummy noodles wrapped around delicious, crunchy vegetables, legumes and tofu – the perfect combination of things for a rainy sunday afternoon !
This recipe is also part of “Virtual Vegan Linky Potluck Party”. The recipe is labelled under “Main Courses” category.
I am a big fan of soups. For me, nothing is more hearty than a big bowl of soup served along with fresh home made breads or a big platter of salad. That being my mantra for a perfect lazy weekend afternoon meal, my husband usually is looking forward to something more substantial and filling. This one time when i was making my Asian style soup, he asked me if i could cook some hakka noodles to go along. As lazy as i felt listening to that idea, i thought i would just add a real big chunk of noodles in it (not like the typical soupy noodles where soup is the main content and noodles are more like fillers). I wanted to do it the other way round.
The dish came out better than expected. It was not only delicious but real healthy as i used very little oil and although spicy, it was not overloading with the heat factor. i saw the glow of happiness on my husband’s face as he slurped down the noodles and it was so satisfying for me ! I even sneaked in sprouts and lentils in it which he would usually avoid and he had it all with a big smile.
This dish earned itself a big “YES” from him and a permanent spot in our “lazy afternoon meal” section.
As u read along the recipe, you might think… woah those are hell lot of ingredients in there… but trust me, it whips up real quick and once you get a hang of it, it is so simple to make, you would want to make it every time you are in a hurry to cook a simple, fun and nutritious meal. The key is to incorporate loads of vegetables (mostly the ones which will cook real quick). So, you can be really adventurous and all vegetables like zucchini, carrots, cabbage or broccoli as well.
Asian Style Soup ‘n’ Noodles
Asian style soup 'n' noodles
- 2 packets of ramen noodles
- 50 gms Tofu – cut into thick squares
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Vegetables –
- 1 medium sized onion – cut lengthwise, thin slices
- 1/2 cup bell peppers(red/orange/green/yellow)- cut lengthwise, thin slices
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms – roughly chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic – finely chopped
- 1 inch square ginger – finely chopped
- 2 medium green chillies – finely chopped
- 1/4 cup corn kernels
- 1/4 cup green peas
- 1 medium sized tomato- roughly chopped
- 2-3 spring onions – finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cooked red kidney beans/chickpea beans
- 1/3 cup sprouts
- 2 cups vegetable stock/ water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp light soya sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped green coriander
- 2 tablespoon olive oil/vegetable oil
- Spices –
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika/ cayenne powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala (optional)
- We will start with marinating the tofu cubes. Take a bowl. In it, add the light soya sauce and a pinch of salt. To this, add the tofu cubes and combine well so that each tofu cube is well coated with the soya sauce. Let it marinate for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, take a deep pot. To this, add in the oil and let it heat up. Next, add in the cumin seeds and let them splutter. Once they splutter, add in the onion and bell peppers and saute for about 2 minutes. Now, add in the chopped mushroom and let it cook for another minute on medium high flame.
Note : don’t put salt at this stage or the mushrooms will wilt and reduce in size. We want the mushroom chunks in our soupy noodles for an added texture.
- Now add in the ginger, garlic and green chillies and stir fry for half a minute. Add in the peas, corn kernels and copped tomatoes, beans (red/chickpea), sprouts and combine.
- Next, add in the vegetable broth and bring it to boil. Add in the spices as per taste and mix well. Once the broth comes to a boil, add in the dry ramen noodles and simmer. Cover with a lid and let it cook for about 5 minutes.
- Now, lets prepare the tofu. In a skillet, add in 1 tsp of oil and heat it up. Add in the tofu and roast on all sides till lightly toasted/golden brown. Remove and keep aside.
- Once the ramen noodles are cooked, add in the soya sauce used for marinating tofu in it and stir well. At this stage, adjust water and spices as per your preference.The Asian style soup ‘n’ noodles are ready.
For Garnishing :
In a serving bowl, put a big serving of soup and noodles. Add in some tofu cubes, dash of lemon juice and garnish generously with finely chopped spring onions and freshly chopped coriander.
This is my idea of an ideal one pot dish! This is just so amazing looking and taste even better. These Asian style soup”n” noodles has it all : spices, textures, play of colours !Enjoy a big bowl, absolutely guilt free. It is loaded with vegetables and has the bean goodness from red kidney beans and sprouts – all power packed in this amazing recipe.
This is also a great solution for those rainy afternoons when you are not in the mood to cook anything extravagant but need something satisfying and if you are like me… something soupy 😛
Read on the other wonderful posts from the Virtual Vegan Linky potluck party. Happy reading !