Summers have been here for some time and like every one else, my summer cravings include everything cold and light. Off course one of the perfect summer soothers are Ice creams ! This is a home-made ice cream using yoghurt. I love the idea of replacing whipped creams and cream cheese with lighter substitutes and find Yoghurt one of the best solutions for the same. Yoghurt is so versatile in nature. Easy to prepare, low on calories and mild in taste, it makes for a great base for the dips (try my Peanut Butter yoghurt dip here), base for filling (i sometimes use hung yoghurt for cheesecake filling) and is great as it is to accompany in the form of raita with paranthas, pulao or even salads and couscous dishes. As a kid i used to love ice creams and actually looked forward for Summers to be able to enjoy these. I still have a fondness for ice creams, though now i understand how many calories we consume every time we indulge in one! Few days back i tried making ice cream with yoghurt and it made me very happy. I had a cup of yoghurt left in the fridge for a few days that had gone a little sour. To make it a little sweeter, i added in some sugar and a dash of Vanilla essence. It tasted so mild and beautiful that i decided to try an ice cream version and was pleased with the results. I named this creation “Yog-hearts”. Not only does the name sound familiar to yoghurt, it is very near and dear to my heart and i love serving this healthy dessert !
Now, everyday, lunch time, we look forward to our low-calorie, indulgent Yoghearts !! Trust me, it makes our hearts melt !! 🙂
♥ YOG-HEARTS ♥
- 1 cup yoghurt – whipped/smooth (any kinds – fat/low-fat/skim/greek/plain/flavoured) . For a Tangier taste, you may take a little sour yoghurt.
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 4-5 tsp fine granulated sugar, can also use icing/confectioner’s sugar
2tablespoons strawberry puree* (or any fruit that u like).
- 1/2 ripe Banana – mashed
- In a bowl mix all the above well and pour in a mold of any shape of your choice. I prefer using a silicon mold to freeze my yog-hearts as it is easier to remove from mold upon freezing.You can also put the same in a piping bag and make some yoghurt droplets.
- Freeze for a couple of hours till set.
- Remove from mold and serve. To remove from the mold, keep the mold with the yog-hearts under running water for a few seconds or until it let itself loose from the mold.
Serve it over a bowl of fresh fruits and add in some nuts or chocolate chips for a dramatic appeal. This is one of the most simple yet delightful dessert that needs minimal preparation and looks so elegant that no one can eat just one !
Try today and surprise yourself with this amazing dessert set to melt in your mouth & make u fall in love with it 🙂 If u liked this recipe, you may like to see another yoghurt based dessert recipe. Click below on Mango Parfait to read its recipe RELATED POSTS – MANGO NUTRI PARFAIT