Who can resist the smell of freshly baked Dinner Rolls? The sweet smell of yeast upon baking, the aroma of toasted sesame sprinkles and the glistening sheen of butter on top is enough a description to make the taste buds salivate 🙂 Today, DSB brings to you a timeless classic recipe with a Whole wheat a.k.a healthy note which is guaranteed to make an entry in your daily food lives !
Of many things i love and cannot resist, a fresh toast with butter is probably one of the top most in the genre of food. There is something magical about this utter simple combination. Maybe it is just the aroma of bread toasting or the moments when the cold butter gives in and melts away to elevate the taste of the bread… to me, that is pure bliss 🙂
Ever since i was a kid, i have always fancied the bakery shops. I feel going to a bakery is like visiting a wonder land which always has interesting things to offer. The warmth of the freshly bakes, the scent of sweet and savory , the intense flavour of butter and spices makes my heartbeat rise and i feel the adrenaline rush. Many people can spend an entire day in a shopping store, i can do that in a bakery shop. It was probably a bakery shop i visited in my initial months at Montreal, Canada which brought back my childhood memories of my mother baking fresh home baked cookies and the house smelling of butter and vanilla the whole afternoon. That evening, i baked my first loaf of Whole Wheat Bread. I remember tears of joy rolling down my cheeks as i cut the first slice and made my home made bread toast… Ah the mesmerizing moments ! Over the past 2 years, i have tried various combinations and made some interesting bakes :
This recipe is basically an adaptation from my Whole Wheat Bread. I find Dinner rolls very versatile and i usually make myself a batch of these every weekend when i make my bread loaf. Some of my recipes which i would recommend with these sesame scented dinner rolls are:
With so many options to try the dinner rolls with… what are u waiting for ?? Jump right in and make yourself a batch of these amazingly awesome a.k.a Wheatsome Dinner Rolls with Sesame Sprinkles !!
Wheatsome Dinner Rolls with Sesame Sprinkles
wheatsome dinner rolls with sesame sprinkles
Preparation time : 3 hours (includes resting time)
Baking time : Approx 25 minutes
Makes : 10-12 dinner rolls
- 2 cups of Whole wheat – Sifted or unsifted. I prefer to use the whole wheat flour with the chaff to retain the fiber content.
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds – feel free to decrease or increase the quantity. You can also use a mix of black and white sesame seeds for an even intense flavour and play of colours.
- 1.5 tsp instant dry yeast
- 50 gms butter –softened (you can also use vegetable oil though i prefer butter for baking goods)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (optional) – gives a nice and subtle taste to the dinner rolls
- 2 tsp garlic butter (optional)
- In a bowl, take about 1/4 th cup warm water (warm to boiling water). To this, add the sugar and add the dry active yeast. Stir and allow the yeast to froth. This might take about 7-10 minutes so be patient 🙂
- Now, take a big bowl and sieve in flour and add salt and butter to this.
- Add the yeast mixture and Parmesan cheese to the flour and add more warm water to form a soft dough. You can add half the quantity of sesame seeds at the time of the kneading the dough so that the sesame specks are spread throughout
- Place this dough in a well oiled deep bowl and cover the bowl with clear film. Let it stand for about 1 hour. The dough will rise to double the size.
- Remove the clear film and punch down the dough. Knead for a couple of minutes.
- Now, divide the dough into 10-12 equal portions and form into balls. You can form any shape but i like to make them into balls as that is the easiest. For fancier versions, try to form ropes out of the portions and make them into individual knots or braid them.
- Now, place these on a pre-greased baking tray. At this stage, apply a thin layer of garlic butter and sprinkle the rest of the sesame seeds on top. Let this rest for another 40 minutes while you pre-heat the oven at 400F. I wanted to make my dinner rolls in the form of a flower, so i chose to assemble them in a spring form cake tin 🙂
- After the second rise, Bake for about 20-25 minutes or till golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let it cool down a bit before consuming.
These dinner rolls are an absolute delight. The Garlic butter adds to the aroma of these lovelies and the toasted sesame seeds gives the right nutty taste and crunch on top. For a surprise look, use the black sesame seeds inside the dough and the white ones of top 🙂