Now that i have been baking cakes and desserts for a while, it was time for me to take the next step. Incidentally, i got that chance pretty early in my baking days.
Montreal is having lovely rains past few days and i love how the colors around me change to celebrate the glory of the rain god. Though i am not a person who loves to get drenched in rains or venture out, i have my own ways of having fun. My perfect rainy day schedule involves staying indoors, cooking myself a comfort meal snug under my sheets watching some old timer classics and a long hot cup of Indian Chai.
What i really wanted for my comfort food on one of those awesome rainy days was Garlic Bread. In pursuit of making myself some, i fished in my fridge but i realised i had run out of bread. I was so eager to have garlic bread that i decided to bake my own bread !
What i really love about baking is the journey one takes to have an end product and the little joy i get every time i see my baking dough/ batter rise and take form. Its a lovely feeling to be a creator and the love & passion of the baker really gets infused in the food he/she creates. No wonders there is a different aroma and taste in the home made foods – its personally, emotionally and passionately enriched !
Here is my first ever attempt of baking a bread and trust me, it was just like the ones we buy in the market – Soft, perfect looking and ‘oh so aromatic’. My garlic bread has never tasted better !
Try baking this simple lovely bread at home yourself and you’ll understand what joy it gives 🙂
Whole Wheat Bread Loaf
Whole wheat bread loaf
Preparation time (including dough resting time) : 2.5 hrs
Baking Time : 40-45 minutes
Makes – 1 bread loaf (about 650 gms)
- 2 cups Wheat flour
- 50 gms butter –softened (you can also use vegetable oil though i prefer butter for baking goods)
- 1.5 tsp active dried yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2/3 cup warm water
- In a bowl, take about 1/4 th cup warm water (warm to boiling water). To this, add the sugar and add the dry active yeast. Stir and allow the yeast to froth.
- Now, take a big bowl and sieve in flour and add salt and butter to this.
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour and add more warm water to form a soft dough.
- Place this dough in a well oiled deep bowl and cover the bowl with clear film. Let it stand for about 1 hour. The dough will rise to double the size.
- Remove the clear film and punch down the dough. Knead for a couple of minutes. With a rolling pin, roll out the dough to about a thickness of 3/4 inch thick in a rectangular shape (add the flour on the working surface to knead out the dough).
- Roll the dough sheet to form a bread loaf. Place in greased loaf tin. Sprinkle some sesame seeds and paprika on top if desired.
- Cover with clear film and let it rest and rise for about 45 minutes. Make sure the tin is deep enough that the dough is placed till about half the depth of the tin as the dough is rise to double the volume when left for rising.
- Bake at 400 F for about 25-30 minutes or till golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let it cool down completely before cutting into slices.
Fresh home made – home baked bread is ready !!
This changes your whole perception about baking and makes you feel so elated that its definitely worth the efforts !
The result was a beautiful, light, fluffy fresh bread loaf. I was so excited to cut through the slices that i could not stop smiling 🙂 This really infused me with so much motivation and encouragement that its tough to describe. If u are really enthusiastic about cooking and feel intimidated about baking, try baking this simple bread at home and u won’t be disappointed at all 🙂
I did make myself some some yummy garlic bread that evening and i used a home made breaded bread version for the same. Keep reading the blog for that recipe is going to come around soon!!