To me, its a clever combination and is truly lip smacking!
I love Hash browns !! These crispy little treats make for a wonderful snack and a side dish for those burgers and sandwiches. In many countries, it is consumed as breakfast along with eggs and is considered a component for an English Breakfast.
Hash Brown resembles AalooTikki (the Indian counter part) in some ways. Both of these dishes use potato as the main ingredient and are baked/fried. Though Indian version tends to be spicy, a typical hash brown uses minimum spices and has a prominent taste of potatoes.
My first encounter with Hash Brown happened during one of my continental breakfast at some hotel in India. I was not really aware of the name of this dish back then but had liked the simple taste. Later i found out its recipe and realized that it was really simple and quick to make.
I happen to try making a batch of Hash browns the same day I intended to bake a pizza for my lunch. The result was a beautiful combination of the same
Usually when we go out to eat a pizza, I always leave the outer crust as it does not have any topping on it. Hash brown is a delightful introduction & surprise to this pizza.
Starting from the center, I crave to get to the outer edge of this pizza to savor on the hash brown. The pizza looks very delicious and elegant too !!
HASH BROWN PIZZA
This recipe involves 3 components :-
a) Pizza Base
b) Hash Brown
c) Pizza Topping
Preparation Time : About 3 hours (in case u make the pizza base at home as well)
Baking Time : 20-25 minutes
Makes : 2 x 9″pizzas
* For the pizza Base dough, follow the same recipe as that used to make Bread. You can find the recipe for making the bread on my blog here.
For Hash Browns
- 2 medium sized potatoes – par boiled (Thin skined preffered as they have less starch. Starchy potatoes make the hash brown less crispy and mushy)
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 4 tsp oil for pan frying (if desired, you can also fry the hash brown)
For Pizza Topping Though the topping is entirely your choice and can have in-numerous combinations, i have suggested a topping i used for my pizza. Any fresh vegetables used for toppings works well
- 1/2 cup Tomato sauce – Made using 2 tomatoes, 1 medium onion and 2 garlic cloves in 1 tsp olive oil. (Alternatively, you can give this pizza base a twist by using DSB’s Tomato Sichuan Sauce. Find the recipe here)
- 5-6 Olives – pitted and diced (you can use either green or black olives)
- 1/2 cup Bell Peppers/ capsicum – Red/Yellow/Green
- 1 small zucchini – thick /sliced vertically
- 4-5 button mushrooms – Thick slices
- Salt to spinkle
- Pepper to sprinkle
- Oregano to taste
- Paprika to taste (you can also use powdered Chipotle)
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Cream cheese/ Mayo
- 1 cup shredded cheese – Mozzarella + Cheddar
As a pre-preparation, it is recommended that you make the hash browns first.
For Hash Browns
- Take the par boiled potatoes and remove the skin.
- Now using a grater (with big holes), shred the potatoes. Add in the salt and pepper and mix carefully to avoid breaking of the potato shreds.
- Form patties of 1″ dia of about 1 cm thickness.
- In a skillet/pan, add 2 tsp oil and pan fry the hash brown patties till crisp and golden brown.
You can also add in a zing to these hash browns by adding paprika and oregano for making your pizza spicy.
For Pizza Base
- For forming pizza Base dough, follow the same recipe as that used to make Bread. You can find the recipe for making the bread on my blog here.
- After the dough has risen once, punch to remove excess air and roll it into two 9″ dia pizza (about 1/4 inch thickness).
- Now you can either bake it half way right now and store to use for the pizza later or put the toppings and bake it together.
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 F.
- For the toppings, you can either stir fry the veggies in 1 tsp olive oil before placing on the pizza base or you can even use them raw like i did.
- On the pizza base, spread a generous amount of tomato sauce. Now place 6-8 hash browns towards the outer edge of the pizza and arrange the mushrooms, bell peppers and zucchini towards the centre of the pizza. Sprinkle salt, pepper, paprika and oregano to taste.
- Sprinkle a good amount of shredded cheese mix on top and arrange olives on the top.
- Add little cream cheese/mayo on each hash brown and top with a sliver of olive. As an interesting twist, you can make holes in the hash brown and fill them with the cream cheese/mayo.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or till crispy and brownish on the edges.
- For an added flavor, you can add some extra virgin olive oil on the top of the pizza before serving.
Enjoy this awesome pizza with the classic tomato ketchup or try the PB yoghurt dip (tastes just like mayo dip). Make some pizza today because home made pizza is so much better