Today is one exciting day for me. I made my first jam ever today and i am now just so addicted to it. I was lucky to have found some really fresh, juicy strawberries and after having gorged on a few for a snack, i decided to make something else with it. The first thought – Jam !! With a touch of creativity, here i am with my Rose tinted Strawberry Chia jam
My family loves Jam ! We always have a few varieties of jams stacked away in my refrigerator. We love it over just about anything – breads, bagels, pastries, as a topping in my parfaits, parathas, crackers or even by itself- Just spoons full of it 🙂
I have been wanting to try my hands at jam making for a while now and as some thoughts never take shape, this one had also taken a back seat. I was just being too lazy to make it.. my excuse being -“why bother when you can buy it off the shelf” 😛 Then last week, my strawberry jam got over and i could not find my favorite brand at the store, so i finally decided to give it a go!
Now, to add to the luck, i got a really great deal on strawberries today and i took that as a good sign for Jam making. This is a no pectin jam but works well. For making it merrier, i also added some rose syrup for a flavour infusion and some chia to act like pectin and for adding on the nutritional power of the Jam.
Rose tinted Strawberry Chia Jam
Rose tinted strawberry chia jam
- 2 lbs/ 1 kg strawberries, cut into halves
- 1/2 cup rose syrup (you can also use commercial syrups like Roohafza)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons Chia seeds
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- Place a thick bottomed pan on heat. Add in rose syrup, sugar, lemon juice and zest. Mix till the sugar melts. Add in the halved strawberries.
- Keep cooking on high for abut 10 minutes. The strawberry will start to release the juices and cook.
- Bring a lid on top and keep cooking on medium high for another 10 minutes. Add in the chia seeds and combine.
- The jam is done when it starts to thicken a bit.
- Let the jam cool down completely before refrigerating.
This jam is great over bread, ice creams, parfaits etc. This jam can be stored under refrigeration easily for upto 3 weeks.
Now, that is one delicious jam ! I am so darn glad that i made a big batch of this indulgence… now i get to enjoy this every single day ! The rose flavour compliments the strawberry jam really well and brings out a rich and deep color in the jam. Chia seeds adds a little bite to the jam and since they look like strawberry seeds, it is almost like a play on it and it makes the jam look even more organic. The best part is with this jam, chia finds an interesting way into our daily diet.
Note : When you make the jam, it might look a bit watery but let it cool completely and refrigerate it for atleast a few hours before consuming it. Letting the jam rest helps in binding the jam together and enhance its overall texture, color and flavour.