Preparing a simple breakfast item today with a little touch of love. If you like oatmeal, you would love this makeover. If you don’t, this is probably a really good way to give oatmeal a go coz i am pretty positive that you would love it ! Presenting Oatmeal topped with graham crumble & homemade jam
I am a 100% oatmeal person. I love the way a warm, ooey-gooey oatmeal feels on a weekend breakfast table. When it is a cloudy, gloomy weekend morning, all i need is my bowl of comfort. Though i am not much of a sweet tooth, an occasional oatmeal breakfast is always welcomed.
For making my oatmeal bowls a notch fancy, i usually add in some chopped fruits or nuts which brings in different flavors and texture in the dish.
Today, as i made my oatmeal bowl, i wanted to experiment a bit more. Just few weeks back,i had made my own homemade strawberry chia jam which was still in stock and i had some leftover Graham butter crumble from last night’s chocolate ganache tart
So, i just added them on top of my oatmeal and voila !! It was like a flavor pairing made in heaven 🙂 It was delicious to say the least. I could totally visualize myself serving this to my guests as a “Trifle dessert Jar”. So, i thought it would be a perfect idea to share here with you all 🙂
Oatmeal with graham crumble & homemade Jam
Oatmeal with Graham crumble & homemade Jam
This dish has 3 components:
- 1cup Old fashioned Oats / steel cut (you can also use the typical quick oats but since old fashioned oats take more time to cook and are not as thin, they hold the texture better. They are more nutritious too)
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1.5 cups of milk
- small pinch of salt
- 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
Homemade Jam – Off course you use store bought but homemade is always so much better. Check out the recipe for my homemade Rose tinted Strawberry Chia Jam here
Let us begin with preparing the homemade jam. It is always better to make the jam way in advance (maybe even a couple of days in advance so that it gets time to rest and develop good flavours). Follow the recipe for making the jam here
The next step is to prepare the Oatmeal. While the oatmeal cooks, we will prepare the Graham crumble.
- Take a pan and add 1.5 cups of water in it. Let the water come to a boil. Add in just a small pinch of salt and mix.
- Now, add in the oats and reduce the flame to medium high. Let it cook for about 5 -7 minutes. Once the Oats are cooked, add in the milk and sugar and mix. Cook a little more, just till the milk comes to a slight boil. The oatmeal is ready. Let it cool down just a bit. Keep aside.
- Now, let us prepare the graham crumble. For this, take a mixing bowl and combine all the ingredient for the crumble. Keep aside.
Now, for assembly. That’s simple ! Just take a bowl. Pour yourself some oatmeal and top up with crumble and jam. Done.
Now, that is one easy easy recipe… but so delightful ! It was a great change from the usual oatmeal affair and it was fairly simple to whip up those assortments to add on. Try this !!