This is one of the easiest and most delicious preparations with Aubergines/Baigan/Brinjal. As the name suggests, it is a quick skillet fried dish which can whipped up in minutes and can be enjoyed in various forms. If you are an eggplant lover, you would love this crispy on the edges, tender and satisfying side dish.
This is one of those Eggplant preparations that i make very often at home. It serves as a quick side dish and compliments all types of my lentil dishes. With eggplants always in stock in my refrigerator, i am always trying my hands at making new dishes with it. Just a couple of weeks back, i made a mean and spicy Eggplant Tofu curry and it was just so delicious that i ended up making the same dish 3 days in a row !!
One can do so much with eggplants and today, i am taking the simple, Indian route with a basic skillet fry and finishing off with a simple sprinkle of spices. Sometimes nothing is more satisfying than a quick and easy-peasy Tava fry.
Baigan Tava fry
Baigan Tava Fry
For this dish you would need a skillet, mixing bowls and spatula
- 2 large Indian Eggplants , cut into 1 cm discs
- 2 tablespoons mustard oil or vegetable oil
- salt for seasoning
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp dry mango powder
- Take a mixing bowl. To it, add in the eggplant discs and sprinkle salt over it. Let this rest for about 10 minutes. The eggplants will release some water and become a bit tender.
- Now, place the skillet to heat up. Once the skillet is hot, add in the oil and then place the eggplant discs on the hot skillet slightly apart from each other.
- Let the eggplants cook on each side on medium high for about 3-4 minutes or till they have browned well on one side. Flip the discs and roast on the other side as well.
- Once done, remove on a flat plate. Sprinkle the spices (red chili powder, garam masala and dry mango powder) on top of the eggplant and serve warm with rice, chapatis or naans.
So, what do u have to say… doesn’t that look simply awesome? I usually serve this over a bed of rice and yellow lentils, which is probably the best combination. For today though, i served this as the main curry dish along with yogurt and naans.
Need more reasons to love Eggplants ?? check these out: