With the festivities around, i cannot think about anything but celebratory treats ! For this week, i am hitting my sweet notes and bringing some sugar from my kitchen to yours. This is a quick and easy trifle which makes for an absoluty stunning “eye candy” dessert and has my favorite flavour pairing. Presenting Mango Cake with Lemon Pudding Trifle.
We are having guests coming over for meals every other weekend and i am on a cooking spree. So much so that i am not able to find time to blog my recipes … now that’s an irony 😛 With so much to do, i find it really hard to make elaborate desserts and that is when i switch to simple yet elegant desserts. Trifles are great for such times !!
I have a fascination for pretty desserts. Though sugar always brings in joy with it, I like my desserts to look sophisticated and elegant as well. When it comes to desserts, i think like a designer. I like to bring out a theatrical display the colors, textures and flavours in food and find desserts really intriguing. In that regard, i have always enjoyed a sight of trifles. The layers with different colors always catch my attention 🙂
Just a couple of days back, we were expecting guest for dinner and i was running short of time to prepare a dessert. Taking a few shortcuts, i prepared this trifle. The dessert was an instant hit !! The flavour pairing of Sweet Mango with citrusy Lemon is awesome !!
So, Read on the recipe 🙂
Mango Cake with Lemon Pudding Trifle
Mango cake with lemon pudding trifle
This dessert is made of the following components:
- Mango Cake (Eggless)
- Lemon Instant Pudding
- Apple filling
- Melted Chocolate / Chocolate Syrup
Mango Cake (you can totally use a store bought here to save time)
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- 1 cup mango puree
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda / soda bi carb
- 1/2 cup sugar
Lemon Instant Pudding
- 1 packet Instant pudding mix (i used Jello brand)
- Milk as suggested on the instructions of the packet
Apple Filling (can use store bought)
- 1 cup apples , peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons lemon
- 1/3rd cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
For Mango Cake
- For making the mango cake, preheat the oven. In a bowl, take sugar, milk, butter,vanilla essence and mango puree. Mix well and keep aside.
- Now, in a separate bowl, take the flour, the baking soda and baking powder. Combine and keep aside.
- Now, slowly, start adding the dry ingredients in the wet ingredients and fold in till the batter is homogeneous and without lumps.
- Pour the batter in a pre greased tin and bake for 30-40 mins or till done.
- Let the cake cool down and keep aside. The mango cake is ready. Refrigerate till needed
For Lemon Instant Pudding
Simply follow the instructions on the packet. It usually takes about 5-10 minutes for the no cooking pudding to be ready. Once ready, refrigerate
For Apple Filling
Take a skillet. Add in all the ingredients and cook for 10-15 minutes or till the sugar starts to caramelize and the apple become tender. Once ready, refrigerate till needed.
You can layer up as you feel like but this is the order of my trifle layers
- Bottom layer – Cake (crumbled up )
- Chocolate syrup
- Apple filling
- Chocolate syrup
- Lemon Pudding
- Top Layer – Cake crumbs
Make as many layers as you need. Mango cake crumbs are recomemnded on top to bring out that beautiful color, sweet and fragrant flavour on top.
Now isn’t that just a pretty dessert ! Look at that hues… its like a fall palate right in my glass 🙂
My fascination for “dessert in a glass” just got wings ! I am so trying out more trifles in the days to come 🙂 For now, why don’t you give this a go !! Happy weekend guys 🙂