I got up real early today, caught the glimpse of the gorgeous sun rise while sipping on my morning cup of masala chai and thought about what i wanted to make for lunch. The fresh mushrooms from yesterday’s shopping were calling out to me and i knew what i was going to make – Matar Mushroom Masala.
I love Mushrooms and believe that everything savory can be made absolutely delicious with addition of mushrooms 😛 I have been itching to cook up some easy, quick simple curries for sometime now and since Mushrooms cook up real fast, it was perfect for a Monday morning tiffin lunch. This curry takes all of 15 minutes to make and tastes simply irresistible.
Matar Mushroom Masala
Matar Mushroom Masala
- mushroom-1 pound , washed and diced into quarters or as per your choice
- Peas / Matar- 1/2 cup
- onion-1 medium , chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- oil- 1 tablespoon
- asafoetida (optional)- 1/4 tsp
- cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- ginger paste- 1 tsp
- garlic paste- 1 tsp
- turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- salt as per taste
- coriander powder- 1 tsp
- garam masala- 1/2 tsp
- 1.5 cups water (or as needed )
- chopped fresh coriander- 1 tablespoon
- Begin with placing a pan on heat and adding oil to it. Once the oil is hot, add in the cumin seeds and asafoetida
- Once the cumin seeds crackle, add in the chopped onion and saute till brownish. Add in the ginger and garlic paste. Let it saute for another minute.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes, salt and turmeric powder. Mix well and let this cook till the tomatoes are soft and cooked well.
- Add in the chopped mushrooms and mix well. Add in the water and adjust spices.
- Let the water come to a boil. Simmer the flame and place a lid over the pan. Let it cook for about 4-5 minutes. The curry is ready.
- Sprinkle garam masala on top and chopped fresh coriander. Serve over rice or along with chapatis/ naans.
So how is that for a quick Monday meal ?? This dish surely beats my Monday blues away. Mushroom and peas/matar cooked in semi spicy tomato gravy is the perfect curry for a quick tiffin meal. I like to keep the curry a bit more saucy – it like having a curry soup on a cold breezy day .. what can be better than that ? Try it out 🙂