Today is all about Jackfruit. This time I am bringing a product range which suits the needs of anyone looking for nutritious meat replacements. Today, i am doing a taste test and using one of the product samples to create a quick version of a complex looking dish – Curry Jackfruit Biryani !
Ever tried Jackfruit? You might have come across this fruit cut in big chunks at Asian stores. The one with spiky texture, green skin and white flesh.. does that ring a bell? Well, jackfruit is the largest tree-borne fruit in the world. Today, i bring to you a product range by “The jackfruit company“. As you might have guessed, their products are made with “jackfruit. The product range’s target is the “meat replacement” market and i am finding it very promising 🙂
I am personally a jackfruit lover ! It is usually considered a “vegetarian’s meat” in India, partly because of its appearance upon cooking. It is prepared in various ways in many parts of India. I have always been crazy about it and my mother always made delicious curries and pickles using this humble fruit. When i found out about this company, i was instantly hooked to it and was completely sold on the idea ! It got me really curious and i decided to try the products out 🙂 I was able to get 2 different samples and today i am doing the taste test for their curry flavor.
The curry jackfruit contains many Indian spices and has a good amount of heat in it. Since the curry flavor is made using aromatics and many other spices, i really wanted to prepare a dish which would remind me of my childhood days. Taking that as an inspiration and combining that with some South Indian flavor notes, i decided to prepare a Jackfruit biryani.. but with my twist ! I am using coconut milk to make the rice for this biryani 🙂 Read the recipe !
Curry Jackfruit Biryani
Curry Jackfruit Biryani
- Curry Jackfruit (the Jackfruit company’s) – 1 packet
- Basmati Rice- 1 cup , uncooked
- Light Coconut Milk- 2 cups
- Non dairy yogurt (or Greek yogurt) – 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- fried onions – 1/3rd cup
- Handful of Raisins
- cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves – Handful
- Mint leaves – Handful
- Vegan Ghee/ Butter (optional) – 1 tablespoon
- Take the curry jackfruit in a bowl. Microwave it for 1 minute or till warm. Add in greek yogurt in it and mix.
- Take a pan and add the washed basmati rice in it. Add cumin seeds on top and pour coconut milk in it. Cook the rice in coconut milk till par boiled. Add salt to taste and mix well. Divide the rice into 2 portions.
- Take a thick bottomed pan. Place one portion of par boiled rice in the bottom of the pan. Layer it with the jackfruit+yogurt mix. Add some fried onions, raisins and half of coriander and mint leaves on top. Do not mix the layers.
- Top this layer with the left over rice. Add the remaining fried onions, raisins, coriander and mint. Do not mix the layers.
- Place a lid on top the pan and cook this on slow heat for around 1o mins. The Jackfruit Biryani is ready. Melt ghee and pour on top. Serve biryani hot with yogurt raita and pickle.
Can any Indian recipe be simpler than this?
I mean seriously ! If you noticed, i did not make use of any spice except a little salt and this biryani tasted amazing !! We ended up binge eating 🙂 It not only looks royal but has the succulent jackfruit giving it a bite and the occasional sweetness of the raisins hitting the lovely harmonious notes with the coconutty scent of the rice.If you want to amp up the richness, go ahead and add some toasted nuts to it 🙂
Now, making a restaurant quality biryani is just a matter of opening a pack of Curry Jackfruit and adding some coconut flavored rice to it ! Head over to the company’s website and check out their products.
Like Jackfruit? Try this other fusion recipe I created for the company