When its hot, whats your savior? Mine is a freezer stocked with a week’s supply of Ice creams and frozen desserts ! If i can, i would just sit in a pool and binge on ice cream whole day long ! Summers are also the season of some of the best berries and one cannot ever have enough of them. Enjoy them in pies, tarts, smoothies or by themselves, they always bring joy !! Today, i am blending berries with my love for frozen desserts and making a fun sherbet. Lets cool off in this heat with watermelon coco berry sherbet.
I have a weakness for ice creams ! There.. i confessed it ! I mean when its summers and outside is hot and humid … every one craves for that cold, soothing bowl of ice cream 🙂 I know that means spending an extra hour in the gym but then you got to do what you got to do, right !! 😛 To feel a little less guilty, i end up checking the store shelves for labels like “half fat”, “non fat”, “slow churned” etc.
Lately i have been thinking of trying out a recipe for an ice cream myself. With a little research on “no churn – no machine” ice creams, i realised that healthy- guilt free ice creams are not all that hard to make ! That really got me motivated and i decided to try something out !
Recently, i was sent a product sample by Kura Nutrition for experimenting. Kura nutrition makes protein powders for smoothies. These protein powder are made using natural, GMO and gluten free ingredients and have no sugars added.
If you are a smoothie lover, this can be a great addition to your smoothies for a boost of protein, nutrition and probiotics ! Kura makes their protein powder in 3 different flavours – Berry, Vanilla & Chocolate. I was sent all three flavours to try and i decided to use them for something even tastier – an ice cream recipe ! If smoothies can be made smarter and protein rich, why not frozen desserts . Now, that gives me another reason to feel less guilty about enjoying my desserts 😛
That looks delicious right ! With that “pink cherry blossom” color and those berry puree swirls, this sherbet is taking enjoying desserts to a new level. Not only this sherbet is a no machine recipe, but it is also really low-fat and contains all natural “berry” flavours . Now that’s what i call “Summer heaven in a bowl! ” . Simple ingredients, a little stirring and some patience to wait for humble ingredients to turn into a creamy- smooth sherbet !
Watermelon Coco Berry Sherbet
watermelon coco berry sherbet
This recipe uses Kura smoothie powder to add more protein to the sherbet.
- 2 cups watermelon juice (i used fresh. You can make your own juice by using 2.5 cups of watermelon and sieve out the seeds)
- 1.5 cups Light coconut milk, cold (you can use full fat coconut milk for a creamier taste)
- 1 can Light sweetened condensed milk, cold
- 2.5 packets of 1.4oz Kura Berry Protein smoothie powder (100 gms)
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 cup mixed berries (raspberry, blueberry and blackberry), pureed
- Take a blender and and add frozen strawberries to it. Blend till the strawberries break into small bit. Transfer in bowl and keep aside.
- Now, in the blender, add watermelon juice, coconut milk, kura smoothie powder and sweet condensed milk. Blend. Best to blend all the ingredients very cold for a creamier texture.
- Transfer the mix into a bowl. Add in the frozen strawberry bits and mix well.
- Pour the mix into freezer safe containers and freeze for about 1-1.5 hours. The liquid mix would begin to thicken and set.
- Take a spoon and stir the mix well. Refreeze. This step is important to insure that the mix does not crystallize and remain smooth.
- Let it freeze again for another 45mins-1 hr and again stir the mix well. Refreeze. Do this for 3-4 times over the next 4 hours. The sherbet will get difficult to stir as it freezes but by stirring, we are manually doing the process of an ice cream machine.
- Once the 4 hours are done, the mix would be hard enough. Add in the mixed berry puree and mix with the frozen sherbet. Let it set for another half hour.
- Now, repeat the process 6 again. After the last stirring, let the sherbet set for a few more hours. The sherbet is ready to be served.
You have to try this recipe out while the summers last ! The recipe is simple to follow and needs no machine- just a little hand stirring ! Feel free to add in nuts or caramel to make your own sweet version ! Btw, if you run out of patience on the stirring in this recipe, feel free to enjoy the mix as a morning berrilicious smoothie !!:P Its delicious either way 🙂
Kura Smoothie powder made this sherbet creamy yet light – pure bliss !! Not to forget the added goodness of proteins, vitamins, minerals and probiotics. Learn more about Kura smoothie powders on their website here. Thank u Kura Nutrition for the samples !!