Tofu makes many rounds in the DSB kitchen each week and my family finds a new reason to fall in love with it everytime i make something with it. You know my best reason till date ? It has to be marination !! Today i am taking an Indian culinary route with my tofu and whipping up some really quick-to-make Kathi rolls which would be adored by adults and kids alike ! So, lets get creative and cook up some Tandoori Tofu Kathi Rolls
Kathi rolls are a famous street food originating from Kolkata, India. It is made with skewer roasted kebabs used as stuffing inside paratha bread. In bengali , Kati roll generally translates to “Indian Burrito”. Over the years, kathi roll went through many variations and people went creative with the stuffing and now, kathi roll is a popular street food not just in Kolkata but all over India. It is a very popular snack item for the youth/ college students all over the northern India as well 🙂
I had a few kathi rolls when i visited India a few months back and i got to relive many of my college memories ! I love when food becomes part of memories… well that is how i build memories 🙂
Vegetarian versions of Kathi rolls usually contain Paneer/ Indian cottage cheese with spicy gravy and lots of raw shredded veggies. For my Kathi roll though, i am making use of some firm tofu which in my opinion, does a much better job of making a succulent, juicy and flavorful stuffing for these rolls. Tofu soaks up the spice from the yogurt marination and cooks beautifully to capture all the flavors and aromas of an amazing tandoori dish. Try it !
Meatless Monday – Tandoori Tofu Kathi Rolls
Tandoori Tofu Kathi Roll
- wheat tortilla – 4 large
- Firm Tofu- 8 oz. , cubed
- onion- 1 medium , finely chopped
- tomato- 1 large , finely chopped
- green chili- 1 small , finely chopped
- mint- coriander chutney – 1 tablespoon
- vegetable Oil – 1 tablespoon
- non fat yogurt- 1 cup
- Besan/ chickpea flour or rice flour- 3 tablespoons (
- salt – 1/2 tsp
- rock salt (optional) – 1/2 tsp
- garam masala – 1 tsp
- coriander powder – 1 tsp
- paprika/ kashmiri chili powder- 1 tsp (for the color and the heat)
- turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- ginger- 1 inch , grated
- 3-4 cloves of garlic,minced
- vegetable oil – 1 tablespoon
P.S – You can also add more raw veggies like shredded cabbaege, carrots, onion and lettuce along with stuffing inside the tortilla kathi roll. You can substitute Tofu with Cottage Cheese/ Paneer.
- Marination the Tofu – Take a bowl and put all the ingredients for the marination. Mix into a homogenous paste. Add tofu cubes to it and coat well with the marination. Put it in the fridge for half hour and let it rest.
- Take a skillet. Add in 1 tablespoon oil to the pan and bring to heat.Once the oil is hot. Add in the chopped onion and saute for a couple of minutes till the onions are translucent. Next, add in the chopped tomatoes and cook on medium high for a couple of minutes. We do not want to soften the tomatoes so don’t let overcook.
- Now, add in the tofu along with the marination and cook on high flame for a couple of minutes or till the marination dries up a bit and becomes a gravy. The chickpea flour/ rice flour will help in thickening the marination into a gravy consistency.
- The Tandoori Tofu stuffing is ready. Let the stuffing cool down a bit before assembling into the kathi rolls.
- For Assembling – Warm a tortilla. Place a generous amount of stuffing in a line in the center of the tortilla and fold into a burrito. Serve warm with a side of mint-coriander chutney and some thick yogurt dip.
Isn’t that making your mouth water a bit 😛
It is so delicious and the best part was that it took hardly anytime to bring this dish together. It is perfect for potlucks or for catering large groups of people because you can just keep the tofu stuffing ready in advance and then it is all about a simple assemble 🙂 Try it and i am sure you will fall in love with it too.
While you are at it, check out some more of my favorite wraps/ rolls :