Wraps are easy, make ahead meal for those lazy afternoons and clearly a great way to incorporate loads of vegetables and healthy stuff into one power packed meal. This wrap has some interesting flavors inspired from Mexican and Indian cuisines and is perfect for a nutritious and really healthy breakfast (if u like) or hearty and filling lunch. It has it all – the Lentils (proteins), the vegetables and offcourse the carbs (tortillas) – in short – a complete, wholesome meal in a wrap ! How awesome is that :)
Now for some reality check (read my Confession) – for me, wraps come in real handy when i have random lentils, vegetables and sauces at home and i simply cannot figure out what to do with them as none would be enough for a complete family meal and i need to finish them off to make space for new food in my refrigerator :P and trust me this happens a lot !! Does’nt it ?
I love chickpeas ! They are just so healthy and really versatile in many ways. Make it into a Indian spicy Chole (gravy dish with tomatoes, onions, herbs and spices), toss it with your greens and make a salad or use it as a topping with your favorite chaat (Indian Street food – mine is the spicy yoghurt chaat – recipe here). i even use it with my pilafs. Check out my bulgur pilaf pot (recipe here) . For this wrap, i simply mixed some spicy salsa into boiled chickpeas and they were ready to give this wrap a great fill.
To keep the flavors mingling and not too particular to any specific cuisine, i used fresh avocado slices, some pan fried tofu, loads of other vegetables and a whole lot of coriander for a real refreshing taste. Since the fillings are semi dry, you can make these pretty much in advance and enjoy any time of the day.
One Tip : Just remember to use dividers such as salad leaves, tofu slices or cheese to keep the sauces from running into the tortilla and making it soggy ! That way they retain shape, form and taste much longer.
All in one vegetarian wrap
Preparation time :
Makes : 4 wraps
4 fresh, soft tortilla (corn, all purpose flour or whole wheat), i chose the traditional corn tortillas. It is advisable to take big sized (10″ or more) tortillas so that it is easy to handle whle wrapping and can accommodate more filling
Filling components :
- 1 cup Chickpeas, boiled
- 2 tablespoons tomato salsa (hot) / Peanut Butter yoghurt dip (mild)
Mushroom tofu scramble
- 2 tsp butter
- 1/4 cup tofu, crumbled
- 1/4 cup mushrooms , roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
Other topping fixants
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tomato, cut lengthwise
- 1/2 zucchini, cut into matchsticks
- 1/4 cup Bell peppers, cut into matchsticks
- 1 avocado, cut into chunks (you can also use guacamole for an intense flavour. Check DSB’s in house guacamole recipe here)
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
We will start with preparing the main components of his wrap.
In a bowl, mix together boiled chickpeas with the sauce. I divided the chickpeas into 2 portions and mixed hot tomato salsa in one for a spicy salad and added the Peanut Butter Yoghurt Dip (recipe here – browse till end of the landing page) for a mild & summery salad.
Mushroom Tofu Scramble
- In a pan, add butter and let it melt.
- Next add in the tofu crumble and saute on medium high flame till the tofu bits are slightly crunchy and brownish on the edges.
- Now add in the mushrooms and garlic. Add salt and pepper and saute for about a minute. Remove from heat and keep aside to cool down completely.
Assembling the wrap
- Take one tortilla. Heat it in the microwave or on the griddle for about 15 seconds on both sides and place it on a board to load up with filling.
- For the assembly, start with a generous helping of Parmesan cheese (i like this cheese for its special character but u can also use cheddar or mozzarella as per your preference). I made cheese my first layer so that it acts like a barrier to prevent sauces from running out and making the tortilla soggy.
- Make chickpea salad and Mushroom tofu scramble as your 2nd and 3rd layers respectively.
- Add all the other toppings on top and roll it tightly to make the wrap. I wrap the tortillas just like burritos. Refer this brilliant article for step wise photos (i promise this will yield you a very neat and tight wrap)
This wrap is just so filling and oh so good ! It has it all.. the protein rich chickpeas and tofu, the yummy salsa, a spread of cheese and goodness of avocados.
It is really like sandwich and burrito filling packed into one wholesome wrap.
The wrap is packed with amazing sensational flavors and has all the ingredients for a healthy, satisfying and wholesome snack or full meal. If you are in a hurry or simply not in a mood for the typical food options, go for this wrap. Fill it, roll it, eat it !! Or just give it a little grill in your panini maker and enjoy the goodness of this awesome treat !