Sometimes i have this huge urge to grab a pack of spice laden potato chips and gorge them down but i fear the calories and although my brain does its math and stop me from binging, my hearts yearns for it and i am left disappointed and my stomach, grumbling… Well, if u are in the same situation as mine and looking for a snack to munch on guilt free, i got the right solution ! SPICY KALE CHIPS
Kale has been on my “Things to try” list since over an year now. It is funny that even though i love experimenting with cooking, it seems i am fairly reluctant about trying a few things. I have been eying Kale for almost 2 years
(thats’ when i shifted from India) now and i was never encouraged enough to pick it up in the grocery store and get it home ! But this year, i made a resolution to self and i am letting go off my fears for trying new ingredients. Just last week, i got my basket of superfoods home – “Quinoa, Chia seeds, Flax seed Oil, Sunflower seeds and Kale!” Now, i am on the task of exploring each of these lovely ingredients and figuring out ways to make space for them in my daily life !
To get convinced, i started reading about kale and realized what a powerhouse of nutrients this was ! Just a single cup of raw kale (about 67 grams or 2.4 ounces) contains like 684% of Vitamins K, 206% of Vitamins A and 134% of Vitamin C. In one take, i was hands down convinced !
Is’nt that great ! Whats not to love about Kale ? I got so excited to read this that i got it home happily. I had heard a lot about kale chips and thought it was time for me to give it a go. So, i prepared the spicy version here so that i don’t miss my potato chips anymore !
Chile con Limon spiced kale Chips
Chile con Limon spiced Kale chips
- 1 bunch Kale leaves, washed and stems removed (we don’t use the stems as they are really hard and will not cook easily)
- 1 tablespoon virgin Olive Oil
- Sprinkle of Chile con Limon ( in case you don’t have this, substitute this with any type of seasoning such as chaat masala (Indian spice mix), cajun spice or just use some paprika, sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest)
- Preheat the oven to 350F and keep ready.
- Take a cookie sheet and cover with an aluminum foil (I do this so that my cookie sheet remains clean upon baking and Kale chips do not stick to the sheet)
- Now, take a bowl and in it place the kale leaves. To this, add in the Olive oil and toss it around. iI just use my hands to toss it so that the kale gets evenly coated.
- Spread these on the cookie sheet and bake for about 15 minutes or till the edges of the kale leaves start to get brownish. Keep a check as you don’t want them to burn but just get crispy.
- Remove from the oven once crispy and sprinkle with chile con limon seasoning. Serve Warm.
These chips are so heavenly that i was in complete awe of them as soon as i ate one ! The texture was perfect to that of a potato chip and the “chile con limon” spice spiked up these chips. For people trying these for the first time, it might take some time to get used to this taste but trust me.. its worth it ! What i love the most about this dish is that now i don’t have to worry about munching snacks anymore and i still get my daily quota of nutrition !! Now, thats a kind of Math i like to do 🙂 Kale i love u <3
If you like this recipe, check out these recipes too :