A sunny cheerful day needs a bright breakfast and i have the perfect idea for it today. I woke up with sun beaming in its full glow in my balcony and i decided to make something fun for breakfast. Taking inspirations from the beaches of San Diego, i am preparing a simple, Indian style vermicelli dish, coco stir fry vermicelli.
I love vermicelli ! This simple pasta can be prepared in a jiffy and i love the fact that it can be enjoyed for any meal of the day. Though pastas are usually not part of Indian cuisine, vermicelli finds it way in many Indian households as a breakfast dish. At my place, it is enjoyed just as much as other breakfast staples like dosas (rice-dal crepes),idlis, Poha, tikkis, dhoklas etc. My husband’s favorite is it’s sweet form – Shahi sweet seviyaan.
My usual approach with the savory vermicelli is to go the Indian tadka route – lots of hearty vegetables and a dash of tingling spices ! Since i love to experiment with spices, i find vermicelli a great pasta to give wings to my imagination !! For today’s inspiration, i am taking a walk along the beaches of San Diego and finding reasons to enjoy the sun, trees and that slight chill in the air. The choice of ingredient pairing with vermicelli for today is Coconuts 🙂
With shredded fresh coconut at hand, this dish is a real quick fix. Made using some basic and simple ingredients, i am surprised by the spin coconut and lemon brings to this dish. If you need a breakfast to lift you up and send you to your work smiling, this is it !! Give it a go !!
Meatless Monday- Coco stir fry vermicelli
Coco stir fry Vermicelli
- 2 cups dried vermicelli
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Handful of peanuts
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 4 cups water
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 2 medium chillies, finely chopped
- Juice of half lemon
- Handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- Take a pan. Add oil to it and heat it up.
- Add the peanuts to it and roast them till lightly toasted. Remove and keep aside to add as a garnishing on top.
- Now, add in the mustard seeds and curry leaves. Once the mustard seeds splutter, add in the chopped onion and saute for a couple of minutes till the onions turn lightly golden.
- Next, add in the corn, shredded coconut, ginger, chopped chillies, salt, red chili powder and garam masala. Mix and saute for a couple more minutes.
- Now, add in the dried vermicelli and water. Bring the heat to maximum and cook till the water boils. Next, lower the flame and place a lid on the pan. Let it cook for another 5 minutes till the vermicelli is ready.
- Adjust the spices as required. Add in the chopped coriander, roasted peanuts and lemon juice. Mix and serve hot.
This quick and delicious dish is ready under minutes. For coconut lovers, this is a heaven dish! Call this your breakfast or your brunch 🙂 If you need a quick fix dish to cheer up your mornings, this is going to do the trick !! Try it 🙂