Happy Monday morning my friends ! I am back in my comfort zone a.k.a my kitchen after a few weeks and i am completely charged up. I got up real early today, caught the glimpse of the gorgeous sun rise while sipping on my morning cup of masala chai and thought about what i wanted to make for lunch. The fresh mushrooms from yesterday’s shopping were calling out to me and i knew what i was going to make – Matar Mushroom Masala.
Is it a wordplay that Meatless Monday Meal this time from my kitchen is “Matar Mushroom Masala” ?? Did u notice the M’s 😛 Well i must have been in a real fun mode today when i started thinking about my meatless monday meal and somehow i got stuck with the “M’s” in my mind : Monday , Meatless, Morning, Meal and… Mushrooms !! Well that instantly made sense to me 🙂 Since i am charged up with Indian food energies these days, i knew it would be Mushroom “something” Masala.
I love Mushrooms and believe that everything savory can be made absolutely delicious with addition of mushrooms 😛 I have been itching to cook up some easy, quick simple curries for sometime now and since Mushrooms cook up real fast, it was perfect for a Monday morning tiffin lunch. This curry takes all of 15 minutes to make and tastes simply irresistible.
Matar Mushroom Masala
- 1 pound mushroom, washed and diced into quarters or as per your choice (do not cut too small or thin or else the mushrooms will loose their texture on cooking and will not taste as great)
- 1/2 cup Peas / Matar
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida (optional)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- salt as per taste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1.5 cups water (or as needed depending on the required consistency of the prepared dish)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander for garnishing
- Begin with placing a pan on heat and adding oil to it. Once the oil is hot, add in the cumin seeds and asafoetida
- Once the cumin seeds crackle, add in the chopped onion and saute till brownish. Add in the ginger and garlic paste. Let it saute for another minute.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes, salt and turmeric powder. Mix well and let this cook till the tomatoes are soft and cooked well.
- Add in the chopped mushrooms and mix well. Add in the water and adjust spices.
- Let the water come to a boil. Simmer the flame and place a lid over the pan. Let it cook for about 4-5 minutes. The curry is ready.
- Sprinkle garam masala on top and chopped fresh coriander. Serve over rice or along with chapatis/ naans.
So how is that for a quick Monday meal ?? This dish surely beats my Monday blues away. Mushroom and peas/matar cooked in semi spicy tomato gravy is the perfect curry for a quick tiffin meal. I like to keep the curry a bit more saucy – it like having a curry soup on a cold breezy day .. what can be better than that ? Try it out 🙂