Since i have to pack a lunch and hence prepare a meal in a jiffy, i usually end up scavenging my refrigerator to hunt for leftovers and transform them into a breakfast. Today, it is this sandwich which turned out to be totally awesome ! Lets have a look at my Vegetarian Fajita Pita Sandwich
Second post for me for today and why not, i have an interesting recipe to share with you all !! I checked the pantry and the empty container of cornflakes (which was my last hope) did not help 🙁 Then i looked inside my refrigerator and found these leftovers – Vegetable Fajitas (from last night’s meal of burrito bowl) and some Pita bread. I thought to myself … well this could work ! My husband usually likes Pita in the typical avatar : Falafel Pita Sandwich but i gave this a shot anyways 🙂
Mix Mash Pita Sandwich
I just took out the fixants : Lettuce, Pita bread, Fajitas, salsa, Poblano sauce (this is my newest obsession sauce. Check out the recipe here) . To bulk it up and make it more substantial, i decided to add in a thick slice of stir fried Tofu. Now thats one delicious sandwich. Check out the recipe below.
Vegetarian Fajita Pita Sandwich
vegetarian Fajita Pita Sandwich
2 Pita bread, warmed and cut into halves for creating 4 pita pockets
1 cup lettuce leaves
- 1 onion, chopped in slices
- 1 bell pepper (i chose red for a slightly sweeter taste), chopped in slices
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped (can also use coriander here)
- 1 cup mushroom (i used button mushrooms), cut into slices
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, sliced
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
Tofu Stir fried
- 4 thick slices of Tofu, about 5-7 mm thick (approximately 50gms each)
- 1/2 tsp oil
2 tablespoons Poblano Sauce (Recipe here). This is optional. You can also use Salsa verde, pico de gallo or red salsa in this recipe
- Begin with preparing vegetable Fajitas. For this, take a skillet and pour oil. Heat it up. Add in the chopped onions, mushrooms and peppers into the skillet saute on high for about 7-8 minutes. Now, add in chopped garlic and continue to cook on high heat.
- Once the onions have started to brown on the sides, sprinkle salt and pepper on top and mix. Add in chopped parsley and combine. Shut off the flame. Fajita is ready.
- Now, let us prepare the Tofu stir fried steak. Take a skillet and let it get very hot. Once hot, add in little oil and place a few slices on the skillet. Roast on each side for a couple of minutes or till crunchy on both sides. This might take around 5-7 minutes.
- Let us arrange the pita sandwich now. Begin with stuffing each pocket with with a layer of lettuce . Next, add in the fajitas, followed by tofu . Top up the sandwich with tzatziki and poblano sauce. The sandwich is ready.
This sandwich is D.E.L.I.C.I.O.U.S !!
The combination of tzatziki and poblano really works well and creates a perfect fusion of a Mexican burrito and greek sandwich 🙂 I happily chomped on these and now i am so full that i think i won’t need anything till the dinner time 🙂 Try this for yourself 🙂