I have been having an itch to cook Tex-Mex food meals throughout this week. When that happens, i know it is going to be burritos, nacho, salsas, guacamole.. the works. I did some preps over the weekend and now my refrigerator is stocked with my favorite fixants. For the start of the merriment, i am bringing all these flavours in a comforting meal, my Mexican Veggie Bowl.
I had my first Tex- Mex veggie bowl about 2 years back at Chipotle’s in Toronto, Canada. Before that time, i had no idea about Tex Mex food and the extent of my knowledge about Mexican cuisine was as far as Salsa and Chips took me. That one burrito bowl was like an open door to a whole new cuisine for me. Coming from an Indian culinary background, i found similar flavours in Mexican cuisine and fell in love with it! Now, we make Mexican food so very often 🙂
I love eating at Chipotle’s and there was almost a phase when we would crave some chipotle’s burritos every other week. Now, Chipotle’s burritos are huge !! I am never able to finish one by myself and almost half of it comes back home with me as leftovers for the next meal. So, i started ordering the burrito bowl instead and it was awesome !
This week, me and the husband decided to go on Mexican meals and in lieu of that, i prepared my pantry of various sauces, tortillas and cheese. When i thought of my first Mexican food fiesta, a comfy Mexican Veggie bowl came to mind. I have kept the flavours very similar to those found at Chipotle’s and have cut a little back on the quantities of Guacamole, Cheese and Sour Cream. Have a look !
Mexican veggie bowl
Mexican Veggie Bowl
This Mexican Veggie bowl requires the following components:
- Lime Cilantro Rice
- Vegetarian Chili (recipe here)
- Fajita vegetables
- Guacamole (recipe here)
- Red Chili Salsa (recipe here)
- Mix Cheese blend (Monterey Jack, Colby, Cheddar etc)
- Sour Cream (Alternatively you can use Greek Yogurt for a lighter version)
Lime Cilantro Rice
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- Juice of 1 lime/ lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro/coriander, chopped
- 1 big onion, cut lengthwise and separated
- 1/2 cup mix bell peppers, cut lengthwise
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Oil
- Lime Cilantro Rice : Take a skillet. Add oil and heat. Add in cilantro and mix. Add in cooked rice, salt and lime juice. Saute till well combined. Keep aside.
- Fajita Vegetables : Take a pan. Add in oil. Bring to heat. Add the chopped onions and bell peppers. Saute on high till roasted. Sprinkle salt and dried oregano on top and toss. Remove from flame and keep aside.
Take a bowl. Start with the base layer of Lime cilantro rice. Add in the vegetarian chili on top of rice followed by Fajita vegetables, guacamole, salsa, sour cream and finally cheese. You can also top it with some chopped fresh cilantro. Serve immediately.
This bowl is jut so much fun. Everything in a comforting bowl is my idea of a cozy meal. One tip for this meal would be to make a few things in advance and then it comes together pretty quickly. The beans and salsa can be prepared well in advance and they last 3-4 days under refrigeration. Enjoy !!