I like my vegetables and i keep looking for ways to incorporate many varieties in every single meal. This sandwich dish is easy to prepare and comes with a guaranteed delish. With all the right components, this Honey mustard grilled veggie sandwich is a make ahead, awesome dish for the upcoming super bowl house party. Sandwiches are among the most popular dishes in the US. With in-numerous ways of creating this wonder dish, it is indeed very versatile. It has it all – proteins, carbs and flavours-all packed in between 2 slices of bread. What a delightful dish ! I have been a big fan of sandwiches myself but call me crazy, i never explored making much myself. It would usually mean going to the nearby Subs (Subway/ Quiznos and such) and trying their classic vegetarian sandwiches. Being vegetarian, our options would usually be limited but i liked them nevertheless. This time, when i set to bake my weekly whole wheat breads, i knew i wanted to try my hands at making a sandwich. With our past weekends going crazy, i wanted to make something which was
- easy to whip up -needs uncomplicated prepping
- Make ahead meal
- Wholesome and Nutritious
This Honey mustard sandwich qualifies for all the above and much more. The many positives includes home made whole wheat bread which is so much much in flavour and texture than store bought. I find it soul satisfying to have my own bread. The grilled Tofu and vegetables makes it wholesome and full of nutrients and the dressing is made much lighter – both, in flavour and calories to full enjoy and embrace the natural flavours of the grilled vegetables. But, i guess the best part about the sandwich is the make ahead factor. You can grill the vegetables well in advance and then assemble it just before eating 🙂 Honey Mustard Grilled Veggie Sandwich
Honey Mustard Grilled Veggie Sandwich
- 4 slices of bread (i used my home made whole wheat bread)
- 2 slices of cheese (i used cheddar but feel free to use any you prefer)
- Romaine Lettuce – 4/5 leaves (remove stem from the center and shred them roughly)
- 1 tablespoon butter for putting on the bread
Veggies to Grill : I have suggested a few vegetables below which goes well together but feel free to add in more vegetables.
- 1 medium size eggplant (cut into 5-7 mm discs)
- 1 big and firm tomato
- 1 zucchini, cut into thin discs (you can also use bell peppers here)
- 100 gms Tofu, cut into thick discs (you can also use Indian cottage cheese, Paneer here)
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sour cream or thick yogurt
- 2 tsp Mayonnaise or cream cheese
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard (adjust the quantity as per your preference)
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 garlic, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
Method I have used my home made Whole wheat bread here for the sandwiches but feel free to use any sandwich bread. For an even nutritious meal, take a multi grain bread and toast it well. For my home made whole wheat bread, follow this recipe – Whole Wheat Bread ( Giving you a sneak peak of the bread i baked)… and if you are feeling a bit more adventurous, try this aromatic variation on the whole wheat bread Golden Onion Bread
We would begin with Grilling the veggies. I have used a Grill/ Pannini press for this. If you don’t have one, you can also roast the vegetables on a non- stick skillet with very little Olive oil. I like my veggies a bit charred for that extra smoky flavour it imparts.
- Grill the Tofu/ paneer the first. I like to begin with grilling the slightly firm component first as it does not leave any juices on the pannini press and i don’t have to clean it in between grilling the different vegetables.
- Grill a few pieces at a time and once they are grilled well, remove and load the next lott of vegetables. Once done, keep stacking on a plate and keep aside .It took me about 15 minutes to grill all my veggies .. this time frame depends on the method used for grilling and the size of the grill itself.
- While you are grilling the vegetables, roughly chop the romaine lettuce and keep aside.
- Next, we will prepare the dressing. In a bowl, take all the components for the dressing and mix well till well combined.If you want to cut down on calories here, simply use the greek yogurt instead of cream cheese/sour cream or Mayonnaise. The Dressing is ready
Now, for assembly,
- Take 2 slices of bread. Toast them slightly in the toaster and then apply butter on one side.
- Place a thin slice of cheese. Next, add a dollop of the dressing.
- Now, load your sandwich with grilled tofu/ paneer and grilled veggies.
- Finish with adding a fist full of chopped lettuce and place the top slice of bread. The Honey mustard grilled vegetable sandwich is ready to devour !
Note – If you plan to make it ahead of time or pack it in a tiffin, i would suggest placing the dressing in between the grilled vegetables and using cheese right on top of the bread on one side and lettuce on the other bread so that the bread does not become soggy from the dressing. Insert a toothpick in between the sandwich to keep the filling intact with the bread. This sandwich took me less than half hour to prepare and minutes to devour. Me and the Mr greedily gulped down the entire thing in a few bites. It was nutritious, delicious to core and oh so yummy. Making a sandwich with your own home made bread is like a delicious dream coming true. The honey mustard dressing added a zing to the grilled vegetables and the romaine lettuce added a fresh factor to this gorgeous looking thing! Try this sandwich today and i can guarantee you that you would be making this pretty often 🙂 Enjoy !