I had never made kebabs before and these vegetarian shammi kebabs changed my whole perception about kebabs. This recipe is simple and a great way to accommodate some good portion of proteins in vegetarian diets.
Kebabs is usually used as a term to describe meat/ non veg patties put on roasted on open flame (as in case of BBQ) or fried (something similar to what is known as cutlets). We do have few varieties of vegetarian kebabs in India and i have always loved them.
Here i have made a vegetarian version of Shammi kebabs ( specialty of central India). Have them with the Mint-Coriander chutney (recipe here) , Tamarind Chutney (recipe here) or lemon/vinegar marinated onions and you will love them !
VEGETARIAN SHAMMI KEBABS
Vegetarian Shammi Kebabs
- 2 cups black chick peas (Kala chana) – soaked overnight and boiled for about 40 minutes or till cooked and tender
- 1 potato – boiled
- 1 large onion – finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 2 medium green chillies – finely chopped
- 1.5 tsp grated ginger
- 2 tsp chopped coriander
- 2 tsp fresh chopped mint / 1 tsp dried mint powder
- salt to taste
- pinch of asafoetida
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp dry coriander powder
- 2 tsp dry mango powder/ amchur
- 1/4 cup chick pea flour
- Oil for deep frying
- In a deep dish, take the black chick peas. With the help of a masher, mash the black chick peas coarsely. Depending on your preference, you may leave a handful of black chick peas whole for an added texture.
- To this, potato (either cut into small pieces or mashed, as per choice) and all the other ingredients except oil. You can add 1+1/2 tsp of oil to this mixture for a crispier texture.
- Adjust the amount of chick pea flour in the mixture to be able to form kebab shape. Try avoid putting extra chick pea flour as that will make the kebabs taste dry.
- In a deep frying pan, pour enough oil and bring to heat. Put a couple of kebabs at a time in the frying pan and fry till golden brown on both sides.
For a healthier version :
Repeat the first 3 steps as above.
Baking – Now, place the kebabs 1 inch apart on pre-greased baking sheets. With the help of a brush, smear little oil (you can also use cooking spray) on the top of the kebabs and bake the kebabs in the oven at 375 C for about 30-40 minutes turning half way.
Pan frying – Take a griddle, put about 1 tsp oil and let it heat. Now put 2-3 kebabs at a time and pan fry on both sides till golden brown.
These kebabs are sinfully delicious and so full of nutrition a.k.a healthy (all the more if baked) that these are simply irresistible. Add boiled peas and grated carrots if you want more vegetables in your kebabs (though i prefer them without extra vegetables).
I had made a whole lot of mixture which would have lasted us a couple of evening snack servings but with the first few disappearing in minutes, I saw myself making all the kebabs and we finishing them off for dinner 😛
I think i would be making another batch very very soon ! Try out the recipe for yourself and see how it finds a place in your heart 🙂