When i have the task of bringing a fancy meal but i want to ditch the prep time, i resort to baking. Why work so hard when your oven can do it for you ? If you know the basics, baking always rewards you with dishes which not only look stunning but taste amazing !!This dish takes some simple store bought ingredients and combines them to fix a fancy meal in less than 30 mins ! So, lets make some lasagna the Mexican style and call it Vegetarian Mexican Lasagna
Midweek meals are always difficult to put together.. won’t you agree? I am usually busy with random things all day and by the time i realize its dinner time, i am often too tired to think of ideas for dinner.. let alone make something fun. These past few days, i have been making simple sandwiches or quick noodles (my fav is my 10 min sesame noodles which i serve with some quick stir fried veggies!) . Then yesterday, some of my friends came over for dinner and i had to think of something a little fancier than sandwiches !! I just opened up my pantry to fish out ingredients and figured out i would be cooking “something Mexican”.
I had the basic Mexican ingredients at hand – some corn tortillas, salsa, veg chili, cheese etc.. so my first response was to go the usual route and fix some burritos or rice bowls but then i found a few packs of The jackfruit company’s Tex Mex Jackfruit in my fridge and i got excited to use them in a recipe and put it to a taste test in front of my non- vegetarian friends 🙂 It was the impetus i was looking for and my creative juices began to work its magic and i thought… why not create a fusion dish instead.
Now, one of my friends love lasagnas and i had the tortillas which would work well as the pasta substitution !! The idea started painting a mental picture in my head and i decided to go with the flow and experiment ! This turned out be one easy-peasy recipe and i have to say.. it does look and taste awesome !!
Vegetarian Mexican Lasagna
Vegetarian Mexican Lasagna
- 6-8 large corn tortillas
- 2 cans of 15 oz vegetarian chili (i used Hormel’s)
- 2 packets of The jackfruit company’s Tex Mex Jackfruit
- 1/2 cup cheese (i used Monterrey Jack)
- handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped – for garnishing (optional)
Preheat the oven at 375 F / 180 C and keep ready
- Take an oven proof dish. Now we will begin to assemble the components in layers. Begin with a layer of vegetarian chili followed by a corn tortilla.
- Now, add some cheese on top of the tortilla. Layer it up with another tortilla. Next, add in a thick layer of Tex Mex Jackfruit. Add another layer of cheese. Continue to build layers till all the tortillas and fillings are over.
- Top the dish with more cheese and bake it for about 25 minutes or till the cheese has melted and is bubbling. The Lasagna is ready. Serve warm with fresh chopped coriander on top.
Now.. seriously.. can anything be simpler than this?? I mean i take more time to assemble a salad 😛 This dish is a perfect example of “easy steps meet gorgeous food”. This lasagna is delicious to core and the tortillas does an amazing job of substituting pasta sheets. What i love about this dish most though.. is that jackfruit stuffing !! The spices and the sauce of the stuffing is awesome and the juicy jackfruit pieces makes for a lip smacking stuffing. The stuffing was meaty and gave this dish the texture it needed. My friends were really impressed with it and they could not imagine that i pulled this dish through so quickly !! . Try it out for yourself 🙂
You can also try this another dish i prepared using The jackfruit company’s curry jackfruit :