Tangy, spicy-hot, simply addictive, this sauce blew my minds off. Made the first time to accompany my plate of Bean Twist Momos, this sauce is so versatile in its appeal & taste that one can modify it to use in many many creative ways.
I had made a big bowl of this sauce and then i used it as :
- Satay Sauce for my Chinese stir-fry rice & Hakka noodles
- dip for tortilla chips
- pizza base sauce
- Chutney to be served with paranthas
- dip for fries and so on!
1. Since the sauce is cooked well, it can be stored for almost 10 days or more. For that, once the sauce is cold, store in a air-tight container and refrigerate.
2. This sauce does not require a mixie or any other complicated appliances! Hence, simple and hassle free… perfect for people who do not have mixies !
I think i like to call this sauce – Super Sichuan Sauce
Tomato Sichuan Sauce
Tomato Sichuan sauce
- tomato puree – from 2 medium sized tomatoes
- 4-5 whole dried red chillies
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 2 spring onion whites
- 1 spring onion greens
- 1 tsp soya sauce
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- dried oregano flakes
- 1 inch ginger – finely chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves – finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp sugar/honey
- 2 tsp water
- 1 1/2 tsp oil (sesame oil/canola oil)
Pre preparation : In a small bowl, take vinegar and soak the whole dried red chillies for 2-3 hours. You will notice the chillies swell. For a better marination, cut the whole dried red chillies in small bits before soaking. *In case u don`t have whole red chillies, you can also soak paprika in vinegar.
- In a frying pan, take oil and heat. Now add to this the spring onion whites, ginger and garlic and saute on medium high flame for about 1 minute or till the onions turn translucent.
- Now add in the tomato puree, and all the other ingredients. Mix well.
- Now bring the heat down and cover the pan with a lid. Cook for about 10-15 minutes.When you open the lid after 15 minutes, you will see that the oil would have separated from the sauce. This means that the sauce is ready.
- Remove from heat and cool down.
Note : You can serve this hot or cold. Tastes tangier when hot.
I am sure once u make it, you’ll always make some more and store it for creative dishes in the making ! 🙂