My oven has been switched on since morning and i am on a baking spree. It began with baking my weekly quota of breads. The house was smelling absolutely divine and i started craving a big slice of chocolate cake. While gathering the ingredients, i thought of tweaking my usual recipe and add in a few magical ingredients to make this cake a guilt free indulgence. So, lets read on to discover the magic of my Dark secret Chocolate Cake.
I love Chocolate Cake ! Well whats not to love about it? The pure cocoa indulgence is the best way to enjoy desserts in my opinion. There was a time when i used to bake a chocolate cake once every month ! Obviously slowly i realized that this treat was way too decadent to be enjoyed every month and the mounting calories meant that i had to eat Salads to compensate 😛 Now, its been long since i have made one and thought i needed to bring back the chocolate love home 🙂
This time though, i wanted to make the cake “indulgence sans sugar rush”. I got a sample for some sweeteners and syrups from Joseph’s Lite cookies a few days back and thought of trying it out for this recipe. For this recipe, i am trying out their Maple flavoured syrup.
Dark Secret Chocolate Cake
Dark Secret Chocolate Cake
This cake is made using Joseph’s Maple syrup. You might have to tweak the proportions a bit if you are using some other sweetener.
Ingredients – Makes one cake loaf of approximately 9×4 inches
- 1 cup whole wheat flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup All purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons butter (unsalted), melted
- 1 egg (optional. If you are not using egg, you can just add 1/2 cup more milk to the cake )
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp soda bi carb
- 1/3 cup Sugar free Maple flavoured syrup
- dash of salt
- Pre-heat the oven at 375 F. Grease a baking tin and keep aside.
- Take a mixing bowl and in it, sieve in the dry ingredients (flours, cinnamon powder, salt, soda-bi-carb baking powder, cocoa powder). Mix well.
- Take another mixing bowl. Crack in the egg, sugar free syrup, milk, yogurt and whisk together into a smooth mixture. Add in the vanilla essence and melted butter and combine well.
- Slowly, start adding the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and gently fold in until well incorporated. The batter is ready.
- Pour the batter in the pre-greased tin and bake for about 35-40 minutes or till done (toothpick/pin inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean)
- Let the cake cool down on a cooling rack. Serve with more Syrup on top. Serve cold or slightly warm 🙂
Note : If u are not using any sweetener in this recipe, you can also use 1/2 cup syrup or honey/maple syrup though that will add to the richness of the cake.
This cake is D.E.L.I.C.I.O.U.S !! It was sinful, chocolatey and really moist. The best part was that the low sugar, low butter route made this cake very light on the palate yet decadent to enjoy as a dessert. I drizzled a little syrup on top as well and it was perfect !! The cake was loved by everyone.
Disclaimer : This recipe has been prepared using food sample sent by Joseph’s Lite Cookies. This is not an advertisement and Joseph’s Lite Cookies had no editorial input in this post. The above post states my opinion and views as an individual about the above products.
Related posts :