One can never go wrong with pies !! That flaky crust always comes with a promise of goodness inside and brings out a smile on my face. Today we are baking some fresh hand pies which would lift your spirits and beat your monday blues away ! So, lets don our baking hats and bake us some Blueberry mini hand pies
I can’t believe that January is almost over ! Woah !! Time has been literally running at my end and i find myself just stuck in random things and blogging ends up taking a back seat. To confess, ever since i got this new website running, i am discovering new hiccups everyday and it has been a task to find my way out. By the time i resolve issues, the day is over and i am dead tired to think straight, let alone blog. Well i guess, it is just the “first timer syndrome” 😛 Nevertheless, it has been equally exciting and i am loving it all !
Well, now to some baking business… So, i was really looking forward to celebrate my blog’s new avatar with a “sweet something” but it did not exactly go as planned. Last 10 days i have been a bit under the weather and my plans had to wait. Just yesterday, i felt a bit better and got an urge to bake ! I wanted to bake something really simple and then found this beautiful box of blueberries sitting at the back of my refrigerator. Instantly i knew .. i had found my INSPIRATION!
Some more raiding of the refrigerator and i found some frozen pie crust in the freezer… WOW what luck !! This felt like the perfect time to give a go at some Blueberry pies. I love “everything blueberry” and i am always up for a nice stack of homemade blueberry pancakes on a saturday morning or some blueberry scones or muffins to take along on trips.
This recipe is as simple as a baking recipe goes. Since i was feeling a bit lazy, i went ahead with store bought pie crust dough though you can make a crust of your own (check out this low fat pie crust i made for my galette, its pretty awesome !). Also, feel free to add in raspberries or cherries along with blueberries for a berrilicious pie !!
BLUEBERRY MINI HAND PIES
Blueberry Mini Hand Pies
- 1 pack of 9 inch pie crust dough, chilled
- 1 box of blueberries (1 pound)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- pinch of cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons milk, to use as a wash on pastry
Begin with preheating the oven at 375F.
- Take the chilled pie crust dough and roll out into an even thickness of approx 3 mm (1/8th inch).
- Using a cookie cutter (or the rim of a glass or anything round really), cut out circles in the dough. I used a 3 inch cookie cutter. Keep the cuts close to each other and you would be able to fit in more.
- Gather the leftover pie crust dough and roll into a sheet again to cut out more circles. Make sure the pie crust dough is still chilled or put it back in the refrigerator for about half an hour.
- Take a bowl and mix together the following – blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, cinnamon and salt. The blueberries start to ooze out water soon after mixing, so make sure to do this step just before you are ready to bake.
- Take a circle and place as much filling as possible in the center, leaving about half an inch on the sides. Place the second circle pie crust on top and using a fork, seal the edges.
- Make small cuts on top to let the air escape while baking and ensure even baking. Apply a light wash using milk.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or till the top of the hand pies are golden brown and the blueberry is bubbling.
Aren’t these the most gorgeous pies ever !! I was really impressed with how simple this recipe is and it doesn’t look anything less than a gourmet pie. The hot pies filled the whole kitchen with sweet scent of butter, sugar and blueberries – the perfect combination ever 🙂 You should give it a go ! I even made a few extra pies and froze them to bake later. These pies are perfect to bake when you have unexpected guests or if you simply need a fun spread for your weekend brunch. If you also like pies and need a savory pie to complete your brunch plans, try these onion mushroom Galette
Looking for more Blueberry ideas ? Have a look